''Amos'' coin carving

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I,ve been remodeling my engraving shop the last few weeks and took a couple weeks off to travel and got the urge to recarve a coin after being idle 6 weeks, shop isn,t ready yet, but close enough to allow me to recarve this 1957 franklin half, the subject,s name is ''Amos''.

Attachments

• MVC-102F.JPG
    MVC-102F.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 190

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
AND.... your work really embodies the spirit of the hobo nickel. You've come a real long way since I first saw your work on Ebay. (I bought it and I'm holding it for ransom) :)

WOW.

Bill, the gesture of the face is exquisite. Coming from a beginner, can you give any tips/info as to the techniques and tools you used to get that background so perfect?

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
WOW.

Bill, the gesture of the face is exquisite. Coming from a beginner, can you give any tips/info as to the techniques and tools you used to get that background so perfect?

Michael
I used only one graver, a #36 hand push flat graver [ no heel ] to remove excess metal and to smooth field down and finished up with sanding sticks..I cut the hair, beard and stippled the hat with my gravermax-airtact system.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
ditto. very clean and kool characters Bill. You kick azz.

Ron
You and Sam helped this old ky. hillbilly develop into a coin carver..[ps] Folks, Scratchmo [Ron] is a master coin carver, I think he started coin carving back in the 1980,s.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Your work never ceases to amaze me!

Just few days ago I got my Franklin half I ordered from eBay, can't wait to get to it :).

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing Bill, it looks as is isn't carved. :confused:
There is still a lot to learn for me, but I think that counts for everyone
arnaud