American Arms

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, here's a pistol that I just showed at the FEGA convention in Las Vegas. It is an American Arms, swivel breech derringer in .32 and .22 over and under. I have included some before pics so you could see the condition it was in when I bought it. Not too bad for something 150 years old but when i saw those flat sides I knew I had to engrave it. So, lots of elbow grease later here is the final product.
The style is my version of what I have seen on some Pedretti engraved shotguns. I combined that with an "Participating" Border and added some shadowing to try and get a little depth. This is a style I have been developing for a few years and was proud to show it on my table this year.
Weldon Lister did the nickel plating and MD Grips made my custom stag grips.
This was a fun project, and I am on the hunt for another one of these pistols, so that I can try it again. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• AA_01_02.jpg
    AA_01_02.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 89
  • AA_02.jpg
    AA_02.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 88
  • AA_06.jpg
    AA_06.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 84
  • AA_Before_02.jpg
    AA_Before_02.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 84
  • AA_Before_01.jpg
    AA_Before_01.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 82
  • AA_Before_03.jpg
    AA_Before_03.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 85

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
It is truly a thing of beauty....but I am a sucker for Derringers. Actually love the patina in the picture when you just got the gun too.

And erm...once again, congrats on the Master certificate, well earned with work like this.

Marc

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
It is truly a thing of beauty....but I am a sucker for Derringers. Actually love the patina in the picture when you just got the gun too.

And erm...once again, congrats on the Master certificate, well earned with work like this.

Marc
Thanks Marc! This one will patina again. The barrels tried to rust while I was working on them. Had to keep them slathered in oil.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent...and congrats on the Master status. I assume that is electroless nickel plating?

I have used that a number of times and find it an excellent finish for fine engraving!
Thank you, Sam! You were definitely missed at the show. I personally heard four or five people say so. Regarding the nickel, I really don't know. It didn't even occur to me to ask how he did it. I guess I assumed that it was done with solutions and anodes and all that, but I could certainly be wrong. I will look into it. I can say that Weldon did an awesome job and I think it suits the work nicely.

Sponsors