AM Scope Anyone have a review or an oppinion

tcjorgensen

Just looking at a scope that a friend recomended to me. Its an AM scope. anyyone out there have anything to say about them?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a Meiji and an american scope both. In my opinion there isn't much difference. There are some attachments that won't fit the American scope without some alteration. That's about it. The optics are very good.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I just bought the SM-4BZ-FRL AmScope off Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5X-90X-IN...ultDomain_0&hash=item27a4f3bff4#ht_5652wt_973. I’m a newbie and know nothing about microscopes and others say a Leica is the best. I didn’t want to buy this and that and try to make it work, I just want to get to work. I have not seen anyone post anything bad about the brand but have read that those who purchased them were pleased with the product and price, so it sounded like a good deal to me. I have no complaints the scope it works fine and appears well built. My .05 objective focuses in at about 5.5 inches, the zoom range is great and as a newbie I think it will work fine, if I think I need more 15X or 20X eye pieces are less than $50. The simple light works fine and does not seem to cause any glare and both eye tubes are focusable. So far I have no complaints (less than a week) about the scope or the vendor, so I’ll have to give it a positive rating and hope I don’t change my mind, I’ll let you know if I do.

Bob

Last edited:

rsharrard

Hi, I have both an AMscope and the Omano, both Chines made scopes and I guess I'm lucky cause they both worked fine out of the box. There seems to be a grouping of individuals (In all the posting research that I did) who have had bad experiances, and as many who seem to like what they have. There is a decent write up on the Linsey website for the Amscope. I've had these scopes for almost a year and half. My wife now uses the Omano in her insect hobby, while I have retained the Amscope. I've also had a chance to sit down and use the Meiji at the FEGA convention, in Reno, a year ago. So here is my take. I found that both of these in-expensive scopes worked well in the beginning, because I was learning very basic steps and I did not need to zoom in and out very much, so the optics seemed quite clear and quite adequate to me. I saw very little difference in the optics of all three and wondered what all the fuss was about. Now mind you I spent enough on both of the less expensive scopes to have purchased the Meiji to start with, but I new my wife wanted a scope for her hobby needs, so it was a good excuse to try both. I've spent the last year doing every exercise I could find, learning how to use the tools, and again I've been quite content with my Amscope. It wasn't until i started getting serious and trying to go beyond the basics and attempting to shade my practice pieces that I realized what all the fuse is about. Believe me when I say I've gone through all the correct set-up procedures as presented by many of the experienced members of this site, and I realized that the difference (which is clearly pointed out in most of the recommendations contained on this and other forums) is in the ability of the scope to hold focus throughout the ZOOM RANGE. I do recall that when I used the Meiji I did not need to touch the fine focus adjustments whether I was zoomed all the way in or out. My Amscopes does hold focus rather well but not 100%, and as I progress in my abilities and start to pick up speed and the need to Zoom in and out, it becomes quite inconvenient to constantly have to adjust the focus, even a little bit, and I can see the PRO's point of view in terms of time is money. At this point I'm hooked, so I am putting money away to buy a Meiji some time in the future. kind of wish now that I had done it in the first place.

If your just testing the waters and you can get a descent price on an Amscope, I say why not, but get it new from the company so if there is anything wrong with it, you can get a replacement. If you don't continue then you've not lost much; however, it may not have much resale value either. If you start with good quality equipment to begin with, your chances of resale and getting a good fair price for the equipment, if things don't pan out, are much higher.

I'm sure there are others that have absolutely no problems with their scopes and just love them, but this is my observation of my scope. I like it, will more than likely keep it around for a while, but I'm looking for something better, now that I fully understand what better is all about. Robin

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I have an Amscope and use it for gun style engraving, it has been great. I do not use it for my bright cut work. I had the scope landed here in Australia for under $500. Great value and has paid for itself in the first 2 jobs. Ty

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Robin,

I have read that zoom scopes have that frailty and the answer is a quality lens swapping type scope. I have not noticed the loss of focus but as I have said I have had little time to use it. I just tried it and it seems to stay in focus just fine:thumbsup:, I hope the problem is fixed or I’ll stay too dumb to know different for a while. I’m amazed by the clarity thru the full range and the wide depth of field was unexpected, I’m still very happy with it.:)

Bob

rsharrard

Only time will tell... Like I said, for me anyway, the more I depend on it, the more "LITTLE" annoyances I notice. I remember a quote but I'm not sure who the author is or if I've even got the quote right (Old Age) "The more you change the way you look at things, the more the things you look at change..."

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Rsharrad, thanks for pointing this out. In my experience with Chinese knock-off scopes, being able to maintain focus while zooming is something many fail at. I've seen one or both eyepiece focuses drift as the scopes zoom. This should NOT happen. I haven't seen or tested every Chinese scope, but if I were to buy one, I would want to be able to exchange it or get a refund if this happened.

Here's an excellent article on buying microscopes.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Sam,

I agree, and I cannot say that I know that would happen:thinking:, but if the head was destroyed and I had to replace it and all the lenses it would cost less than $250.00 to do so :). I’m fairly old and remember when everything that came from Japan was junk and worthless, things change you change with them or get left behind. As I have said I’m a newbie and only know about the scope I have before me, it works like a charm stays in focus and costs less than $500 :clapping:.

Bob

Sam

Staff member
Sounds like you have a good one, Bob. Congrats :)

Yeah, I remember when Japanese products were the lowest of the low. Surely not the same any more, is it! As for China, they're not there yet, and won't be until they break the cycle of reverse engineering and copying other products and start pioneering design and technology like the Japanese have done. Japanese products have gone from throw-away junk to some of the finest and most elite products in the world.

A friend of mine has a major brand of musical instruments which he has made in China (for about 15 years now). He said that the labor turnover rate in factories is so high that they are in a constant state of training fresh people. So they don't develop and maintain a high degree of skill, accuracy, and proficiency. One batch of instruments or microscopes are fine, and the next batch is garbage. In my travels I've talked to many people who have products made there and the story is always the same. It's a crap shoot from batch to batch.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wish that I had bough a better scope rather than settling for one of these.But my Scotch brain told me that I would save money by looking at the price tag without knowing what the real quality of the product was. Now I can't get rid of it for enough $$$$ to really help me get in to one that I should be using,slowing my progress and productivity.
You get what you pay for.......

Sandra Brady

I think you get what you pay for in optics. I've had both Mieji and AM scopes, and while you may not be able to tell the difference at the start, there is a huge difference in quality in the long run. My husband used the AM because he didn't want to pop the big $$ for a Meiji. I have used the Meiji for 15 years ( give or take) . I could see the difference the first day he got the cheaper scope. but he couldn't tell the difference so all was fine. We recently had the opportunity to upgrade his scope, and after using the AM and then switching he is amazed at the difference. If you are in for the long haul, give your eyes the benefit of the better scope.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

When trying to decide what to do about buying a microscope I found a great deal of non information :thinking:. When reading about what to look for the best advice from those who know and can afford and use them is buy a Leica, used if you can find one or put one together ;). I appreciate your willingness to share your opinion so don’t misunderstand, I’m just pointing out that a lack of specificity can be very misleading and confusing :thinking:. Many posts are much like silverchips comment, what microscope is a ‘one of these’? Sandra offers a comparison of AM to a 15 year old Mieji this indicates the Mieji has great longevity but leaves me with many questions. Like what model of AM and when it was obtained, why it was fine at first and why and when did it lose its shine? I know more specific information would benefit those looking for information on what to obtain. So what I’m saying is much like the editor wants the people to know, what, when, why and how or it’s just a story about a dog and pony show :shock:.

Bob

Sam

Staff member
Silverchip and Sandy make excellent points. Silverchip's AMscope basically isn't worth selling because it has little resale value. He wants to upgrade but he's stuck with it. In my opinion that money would have been better spent on a good Meiji which is always in demand and always easy to sell.

Sandy and her husband have the AMscope and Meiji and she can see the difference in a side-by-side comparison. I can too! But if it's a person's first scope and/or they've had limited experience using one, it might look just fine to them. They might not notice the little things that may grow to be annoyances later. Maybe buyers will get a great Chinese microscope or maybe they won't. As silverchip says, you get what you pay for.

Leica/Zeiss: Oh yeah! Get 'em if you can. They are two legendary German optics companies and they are bright and SHARP microscopes. Not sure about Leica, but Zeiss are 3 or 4 times the cost of Meiji. I have two Zeiss scopes and one Meiji and I am completely comfortable with both brands. Zeiss is my working scope. I would like a Leica to test.

Andrew Biggs

One of the issues is money. It tends to dictate the decision making process and people are trying to make something fit their budget. And they will keep looking and asking questions till they get the answers they want to hear to justify their decision to spend less........which is fair enough. We all do it to a lesser or greater extent and that is human nature. :)

Microscopes are a visual thing and no amount of words can describe what you can actually see because we all have different expectations. Some people can compromise quite happily and be satisfied and others want the best there is. After all, a Lada will get you from A to B but a Mercedes will do it in so much more comfort.

If you buy top line brands like Meiji, Zeiss, etc then you can't go far wrong because of the quality control, materials used, mechanics etc etc. They charge top dollar for a reason. Go for cheaper options and it's a crap shoot and you may, or may not, end up with something good. But then you have to define good because that is generally in direct proportion to your expectations and the amount of use you are going to get out of it . Plus how much you are willing to compromise.

My own personal preference is the Meiji and having used a cheaper scope prior to that, and looked through since..............I would never go back.

Cheers
Andrew

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

From what I can gather about used scopes the high value makes bring from 10 to 5 percent of their original cost from individuals and more from dealers for used items, if you carry that down to AmScopes costs I could hope to get $50 :shock:, I think I could get more today selling it on ebay, maybe not. I don’t know what Mr. silverchip has invested in his microscope or what is wrong with it, only that he bought one and he’s not happy because he can’t get a return on his investment ;). As for getting what you pay for, I have paid top dollar for high priced brand name items only to pay top dollar for nothing more than a name and cheap parts and labor and I have paid reasonable prices for quality craftsmanship it seems to me it is relative to the product and little else. I also understand that a side by side comparison would be very helpful, who offers that? Sandy stated that the AmScope was fine and was replaced because a better scope became available and now he is amazed, it is hard to know what to do when all you read is written in subjective and vague language. :thinking: It leaves you like this thread will leave anyone who reads it; buy the most expensive brand name microscope you can and as they cost in excess of $15,000 new buy it used, it may work, if not and it needs parts or labor be prepared to spend a grip :beatup:. If you buy a less expensive scope it doesn’t operate as well in some way that nobody seems to be able to clearly state, it’s very confusing :confused:. I suppose it is how much time and money you are willing to invest to get a brighter clearer view throughout the available range of magnification in the entire viewing area, I don’t think I have the best but I seem to have what I need now :clapping:.

Bob

laserboy

One thing I have always told myself in a purchase process was I was never disatisfied with buying the best. Initial sting of putting out the big bucks was nothing compared to the constant sting of buying lesser quality for less dollars.I did buy Am scope for a gem scope with a camera for customer aid in selling diamonds and other stones for my office. However while doing an appraisal the other day I caught myself going for the Meiji in my shop. Great for a selling aid but the meiji is much better and easier on the eyes.Larry

Ohholymountain

I have an amscope 7 x 45 trinocular microscope that I bought second hand with a camera set up and a single boom stand for £400 on eBay. after modding out with an articulating stand and getting a reduction lens for the camera, it works great. I would love to buy the GRS set up or Leica set up from Cooksongold but for around £4,000 I just can't justify it as someone starting out. This amscope is fab for stone setting and most engraving projects, sometimes it can feel a little dark but a LED ring light has helped that - tbh it feels no less clear than my optiviser to use (just less back ache and marks on my forehead from the head strap which I'll never complain about)

Winstonklein

Elite Cafe Member
I personally would advise anyone who is serious about getting into stone setting / Engraving to continue using an Optivisor until they can upgrade to a Leica. I have used Meiji for 20 years, but the Leica A60 Microscope with GRS Acrobat Stand is on another level though. This advice is especially important for someone who spends 6 to 8 hours a day on their microscope.
as for hobbyists they can certainly use any magnifier that fits their budgets.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have an AM microscope but only use it when engraving game scene's and Optivisor when engraving other work. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors