Announcement: AlfanoArt Monogram System - make monograms on your computer

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In stock and ready to ship!

[click] AlfanoArt Monogram System

mrthe

Wow look great ! will be graet a " Scroll System" for people like me that can`t learn draw scroll hahaha ( is a joke) :rolleyes:
Thank you Sam for this cd rom i will buy it when i `ll start with lettering engraving

JLA.jr

Sam, paypal sent and I cant wait to play with this one:tiphat: Thanks for continuing to find ways to make things easier for knot heads like me on the computer sir:thumbsup:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
The tutorials on YouTube, using Adobe Illustrator, make it look easy. I'd like to use InkScape with my Mac. How different, e.g., use of Mac shortcut keys, is using the monogram system with InkScape instead of Illustrator? I'd like to learn by imitating the YouTube tutorials.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam:if this is at all compatable with corel draw, i'll purchase a copy. thanks for thinking of the "lettering impaired". :cool:

Sam

Staff member
Bill: It works with Inkscape for Mac using the .eps file. The only drawback is that Inkscape/Mac rasterizes the vector letters if you copy and paste into a new file. It makes it a bit more awkward but it's certainly usable. My advice is to modify them in the .eps file and not paste into a separate file because rasterizing the letters defeats the purpose of having vector in the first place. My other advice is to get Adobe Illustrator.

Not sure about the keyboard shortcuts as I'm not an Inkscape user, but most graphics applications allow you to customize keyboard shortcuts. If that's the case with Inkscape, then you should be able to get pretty close to Illustrator's shortcuts.

Monk: See my email to you.

CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator are fully supported with files in various versions. :thumbsup:

KSnyder: It's one custom vertical script lettering style.

Sam

Staff member
If you run Windows on your Mac, then I would recommend CorelDRAW. It runs really well.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I helped Sam test the letters using a variety of different programs. Pretty much any program that will import a .eps file will allow you to manipulate the lettering. For those that do not have very much experience with digital graphics, the type of program that you are looking for is a 2d or 3d graphic drawing program, like Corel, Illustrator, Xara Xtreme, just to name three that it works really well with. Photoshop or Photoshop elements is NOT what you want, as these programs may bring the vectors, BUT its going to seriously limit the way you can use the vectors. Basically it will defeat the purpose of having the vectors.

Having vectors allows the user to scale the letter from infinitely small to infinitely large without the shape of the vector being altered. Whereas if you scale a jpg, bitmap, tiff, etc... the larger the image the more loss of resolution and clarity in the print/transfer.

These letter vectors are supper easy to use and provide a very professional looking font for monograms. The cost of the vectors will easily pay for itself. The first three letter monogram you cut for a paying customer will pay for the cost of the vectors.

As for transfering the letters to your work, all the known transfer methods using laser printers will work. I just started using the varnish and parchment paper method. I would highly suggest this method.

If you can cut an "s" shaped curve and "c" shaped cuts, you will have no problem with this system. There are very few sharp, tight turns. This means that anyone from the beginner to the seasoned pro can get salable results using these vectors.

It's a very nice set of letters, which I would recommend to anyone interested in engraving monograms.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
This morning I remembered that I had the Sam Alfano "Easy Computer Lettering" DVD. I wondered what was on it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has 4 chapters on Corel Draw. It also has a chapter on Transfer Techniques, & other chapters as well. This will provide me with the background I need to effectively use the Monogram System with Corel Draw.

ErichM

How old Can I go

I don't have illustrator. What's the oldest version of Illustrator (for Mac) that you would recommend to purchase to run your monograming program. The newest version is a little more than I want to spend and the price drops quite a bit on the older versions on ebay....I just don't want to buy a version that won't work properly. Thanks