Al Mar Hawk Knives

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a little info on the knife Sam uses in his new video. The Hawk Honey Jigged Bone. Web sites that have them with their advertised price:
www.almarknives.com $219.99
www.grstools.com $135.99
www.agrussell.com $129.95

There are several different models of Al Mar Knives. Such as Osprey, Eagle and Hawk.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

Sandy

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
With your signature or Sams? :)

Ask Sam first what he would get - then compare yours (unbiased of course) to his and charge accordingly...

If that works out - then maybe you can tell me how long a piece of string is?

Brian

(All of the above is written in jest. Pricing has always been a bit of a tetchy subject - don't be holding your breath waiting for answers)

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know! Tell me about it! I've taken several courses and ask the question every time. I believe this is the hardest topic for newbies to figure out and the one topic the experts hold close to their vests.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just realized that could be taken wrong. I mean no disrespect. Just getting frustrated with my lack knowledge in this area.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would say that a great deal of advice has been shared over time on pricing but...It really comes down to what the market will bare from each individual engraver. I have a fellow very well known and renowned engraver here is south Georgia who has told me he has never sold locally. Since then I know of a single gun of his that passed through our gun store. This is the heart of the plantation belt. Lots of very rich owners around. All buy elsewhere. I do work for some of the managers and guides and scouts. No guns just a few knives and harness and bridle type work. Production work. Pays bills but that's all. Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's some examples...

I try to get as close to $75 an hour as is possible for the commercial hand engraving that I do as a subcontractor to other companies. (not always possible)

The car mechanic down at the end of my street has a sign posted for his labor at $90 an hour for his labor... Dealers in town charge more in their shops. Dunno how much more, because I know I can't afford 'em.

I have been doing what I do for 42 years and have collected a few tools... He has been a mechanic for 5 years and has the standard mechanics tools.

Understand that I DO get more for my own work, and I charge more for contract work depending on the difficulty of the material, whether it is a rush job - and about double or triple my normal rates if the customer has a bad attitude. (Mostly I just show the latter the door - life is too short to deal with that)

Once upon a time, I encountered a client with both a bad attitude AND in rush. He wound up paying close to $300 an hour and was happy with it!

B.

And as is the norm all over the planet - you get less per hour if you teach....

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I guess it has always been what do you need per hour and charge accordingly as a start. A few of the folks have shared their pricing schedule as jewelers so that's another bit to look for on here. I've always been told that if you sell a lot of stock quick, you're too cheap, if you keep it for a long time you're too high ( in the hand work realm), I think this holds true to some degree but with the economy today I don't think the models are holding true. In my case I make such diverse objects it's hard to price but there's one thing that still comes into play and that is the perceived value of an object. I will look at the completed piece and price to how I think it will be perceived in value and then look at the hours to come to a figure. I have been know to give away work at a lower price because I didn't like it from an artistic view, just didn't be what I wanted it to be. It gets complicated when you get faster in skills and more knowledge, that leads to the work being accomplished in a more efficient manner. For instance at say $25/hr., a piece I used to cut took 4 hrs. I now can cut it in 1 hr. and have a better piece of work. I didn't lower the price on the work. Bottom line there is no clear cut answer to your question for very situation and need is different. Best thing to do is try to sell your work, that's the only way to know. Good luck in your venture.
Mark

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
Auto shops vs Engravers.......bad analogy. I subdued my ire by going out and working on my new antique auto for a while. You should know better. Setting prices has nothing to do with what others charge. If anyone doesn't know how to run their business, including pricing, I would suggest they invest in two coursess at the local Jr. college; General Business and Business Finance. They will serve more in the long run than taking skill based courses from GRS or others. That comes later. In any trade or skill, most people fail because they don't know how to run a business.

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
No need to apologize. This is an important topic. It is a topic that everyone has an interest in.

Some point you have to decide what your time is worth. And once you have done that don't discount your time. I have been a working gunsmith since 1971. It took me some time to learn that bit of wisdom. If you work for a small amount most will think you do cheap work, and won't buy what you have to sell. When someone brings in a job that I really not interested in doing I would give them a price that I thought was way to high. To my surprise the answer I got was "when can I have it." Decide what your time is woth and stick to it. Don't discount and if you aren't interested in the job say so. What we do as hand engravers is unique. As our skills increase so does the value of what is done. My two cents. :thumbsup:
Sandy

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, Dave - I coulda used the young plumber that came out last week to fix the bathroom sink drain. (and believe me I had tried everything)

He was maybe 20 years old. Used that snake in some tricky way that I couldn't get my own to do - to get past 3 or 4 elbows - and cleared it in about 10 minutes.

The charge was $150...

Which, I guess, was cheaper than me ripping out the wall, which would've been my next step!

B.