Air Compressors

In an earlier thread I had asked about systems and had some concerns an=bout compressor portability and noise. Portability was leading me towards the gravermeister, but noise seems to be a concern. For about the same money though it looks like I could go with a gravermach + handpiece (901maybe, looking for all around) + an airbrush compressor. For the compressor I was looking at the Paasche 200R Oil-less wich will give 15S CFM at 50PSI. Has anybody used the airbrush compressors? they seem small and portable which is a plus since my studio is in a third floor walk up attic and I can only imagine moving a compressor up there. How are they on noise? Thanks for all the help, what a great forum! -Scott

Scott, that model only delivers 0.7scfm @ 20psi, which means it delivers less at higher pressure. The DA400 might be more to your liking, look it up on suppliers of Paasche compressors. Thomas also has some choices, google for sources. Mike

I realized that after posting, seems I had miss read. Another question I had though deals with the cfm. If the gravermach requires 1.4 cfm does it hurt to run it off a compressor that delivers 4.1 cfm at 90 psi?

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe Bill Zach can comment on this. I Recall that he once said he started with a air brush comressor.
Check out this threadhttp://www.igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167&highlight=Air+Compressor.
Hmm The link does not work? I found it in the archives by searching for "air compressor."

Choice of compressor can be a tough one. Especially if you intend to use it in the home or want the capacity for other projects. I have a small diaphram compressor I bought to run a nail gun and the blame thing is just plain noisey.

Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Scott
I brought a used paassche air brush compressor and used it for my gravermax for about 3 years, i think it was at least 15 years old when i brought it [$25]..After about 3 years it went out, but it was probably 15 to 20 years old and served me well...The only problem i had was the mositure build up in my line, which collected in my air regulator bulb...I can,t remember which model it was, but i think it was 1/4 hp..

Ok well this definitely helps. I found an eagle 4.2 gallon compressor that delivers 4.1 cfm at 90 psi. It isn't too bad noise wise and the size is right, but it takes oil and that concerns me a bit, although adding the extra filter might solve the problem. The price is right at $140. Is it ok to have more cfm than the gravermach calls for (1.4 I believe)? Thanks for the great feedback so far! -Scott

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott
More CFM is good , a oil trap filter is around $30.00 at most compressor service stores

Well that solves a lot too. Compressors are a new thing for me and I was getting a bit confused balancing psi with cfm. My biggest fear was putting too much pressure into the graver. Like I said, the oil aspect bothers me a bit and I the other compressor I am looking for about the same price is a 6 gallon 90 psi oiless but with only 2.5 SCFM. The lower cfm wouldn't make a difference I don't think to the graver but does effect what else I can run off of it. On the other hand, it doesn't have the oil aspect to worry about. -Scott

More cfm than required means that your compressor doesn't have to work so hard to provide the needed air volume. Insufficient cfm means that the compressor can't keep up and you run out of air. Be sure to get a good quality regulator, I went with a cheapo and was plagued with air leaks around the moisture cup. I'm still looking at quiet compressors. Mine is outside with a quick-connect to the shop pipes and it leaks also, and I'd rather have the whole thing inside.

Mike

hmw

Scott, I have used an oiless compressor for years and mine self destructed one time in the middle of a job, and borrowed an oil bath style to finish up with. After about a couple hours use, I would have to clean the bore of the handpiece, because of erratic startup and performance. I use a total of 3 filters in the air line plumbing plus a water trap, and was still getting enough containamented air to effect the handpiece. I am sure there is a better filter system on the market, but at a much higher cost.Those oil bath compressors are something to think about with these systems. I didnt have good luck with it.......glad it was a loaner! H.M wells

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One suggestion I might add is to check your local used tool company. Most locals have one, like a rent a tool or something like that. I picked up a 2 hp quiet compressor for me and a silent compressor for a friend at only $150 each used. Both compressor would have been well over $500 each new.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
whatever you settle on, make sure you drain your tank after each use. there is usually a brass stopcock type valve on the tank bottom. you want to drain the accumulated moisture as much as possible. not doing this will surely lead to rust buildup in the tank bottom. not good .

Markofx

Air compressor

Hi Scott,

Best compressor I've been using 15years is Sil-Air, or Jun air. Small and perfect for your needs. Their made just like your refrigerator compressor, and no noise!! Just change the oil every 100 hours of use and keep going. They come with filters to catch water and oil. Look on Ebay at Dental supplies, I see them all the time. Don,t buy a cheap unit you'll only end up ruining your equipment.
Call this man who is a distributor for Silentaire Compressors, E. Ceraudo toll free at 866-681-1320

Got anymore problems, always here to help
Mark

I have looked at the sil air and jun air and I do agree they would be perfect, unfortunately I don't have the $800-$1000+ to invest in one although I would like to. How are peoples feelings about using regular compressors? -Scott

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scott

Quote........"my studio is in a third floor walk up attic"

Buy the silent-air or Jun-air you won't regret it. I know the money is a factor (it always is!!)

Normal cheap compressors with small tanks can drive you and your family/neighbours nuts with the constant banging away at all hours of the day and night. Unless you can put them away in a reasonabley soundproof environment like a basement or seperate garage.

Bigger tank compressors are more expensive but less banging away as they are not constantley filling with air. In which case you may as well get a silent one.

Airbrush compressors are constantly going. The noise is considerabley less but if you are noise sensative then they can drive you to the looney bin. They won't damage your hearing but the constant noise can be very irritating if you're that way inclined.

Cheap compressors are exactley that. You need more air traps, filters etc etc. By the time you shag about doing all of that you may as well bite the bullet and get a good one that suits your purpsose right from the start. In the end that's probabley what you'll do anyway so you may as well save yourself all the in-between expense and grief.

When I bought my Jun-Air silent compressor I near burst into tears with the price of it. (They're $1800 here in New Zealand) My ears, wife, neighbours and cats are all glad I did.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Check out the Super Silent 50. They are priced a bit cheaper than the Jun Air and Sil Airs and it seems to perform as well. I bought one last year and I have never regreted it. It has plenty of output as well, I can run a GraverMach and the magnum handpiece, which takes quite a bit of air and it will keep up. Same with the 850 rotary. They are worth taking a look at. Brian

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott,
I have used both oil-less diaphragm type compressors and the silent refrigerator style compressors. The diaphragm type are very noisy but cheap to buy. If you can put the compressor in an area that is away from your living/working space and run an air line to your workshop it may work for you. If that is not a possibility, I suggest using a refrigerator type compressor. You should put additional filtering on the air line to prevent any oil carryover to your equipment. The link is to a seller on Ebay with what looks to be reasonable pricing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silentaire-Supe...ryZ28111QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Which ever way you go, I recommend installing an air tank in your work area in addition to the tank on the compressor. Unless your compressor comes with a large air tank -- 5 gallons or more-- it will probably cycle a lot. Fewer starts = longer compressor life. I added a 3 gallon tank in line with my compressor because I found one with a pressure rating compatible with the compressors 150psi max output. I put a regulator in the line after the tanks to bring the pressure down to 60 psi and used clear tubing from my local hardware store to run to filters mounted on the wall by my equipment. Adding 3 gallons to the 0.9 capacity on the compressor made a huge difference.

I use a refrigerator style compressor that does use oil. The style that I have automatically purges the system periodically as the compressor runs to reduce carryover of oil in the air. Some systems do not auto-purge and it's up to the user to be sure the tank(s) are purged. Make it a ritual -- once a day at the end of work or you will have carryover problems.

Best of luck getting started!
Gary

Last edited:

James Wark

I had been wanting a silent compressor for a long time, the noise from the regular compressor actually drove me away from using my gravermax. I found plans on the internet for making a silent compressor from an old refridgerator motor. I got a junk yard motor for free, bought some copper pipe and the most expensive piece was the pressure switch, about $30.00. It works great, I dont know the CFM but it has plenty to run the gravermax. Its not the best looking compressor but now I dont even notice it, sometimes I forget to turn it off.

Latest posts

Sponsors