Age a Nickel Finish?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a client who specifically wants an aged nickel finish on something. Does anyone have a method for aging nickel so that it looks like it has had a lot of wear? This would be not only a surface wear, but possibly a wearing off to the base metal too. Thanks! :)

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, I am not an engraver but I make nickel silver knife sheaths, have some stuff from Rio Grande called nickel oxidizer # 331-051 it is supposed to antique nickel, I have not tried it, is a two part thing you need an acid dip # 335-075, you mite give them a call and see what they have to say about it. Deane

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Try Birchwood Casey Super Blue. I don't know about their standard blue. Super Blue has become my go to oxidizer for all my ferrous and nonferrous metals (except titanium), including my hobo nickels - I buy it at my local Ace hardware in the gun department, but any gun shop or Cabelas should have it, and no hazardous shipping charge.

Good luck

Tom

mrthe

Tira for my Hobo nickels i oxidize in this way:
First clean the surface , use super blue birch wood casey, take care with the time action or you will have a total black and "instable " patina,after that i highlight with stone powder 600 grits (you can use a modeling gesswein stone and a diamnod stone to make the powder) and light oil to highlights the details details.

Best patinas are done instead use the super blue gun putting it in a stove or with a small torch since it come black and highlight in some way.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, if you want small and bigger scratches and dents on them too, use the Chris DeCamillis "bean hammering tool" in your En-Set.
I use different finished hammering tools for different kinds of textures. If you look at a used nickel under the microscope, you will see the texture of it one by one, just a matter of copying it.

arnaud

Aged nickel

Hi Tira, Thanks again for your input on carving ti, I used the c-max in a round with good results. I spoke with a guy at the colt show when it was held in Tulsa and he had done what I think you are talking about on a colt he restored. He used a midas pen plating unit, copper first then he turned up the nickel plating to 10 amps or more and kinda burned the nickel layer into the copper..he then hand polished the nickel to give it a worn look. I think this is what you are looking for if so good luck! His truly looked like aged nickel.

Have a great Holiday, Randy J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, You going into the counterfeit antique business? Going to try your hand at the Antique Road Show with some genuine heirlooms? LOL Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
birchwood stuff- fantastic effects on copper, brass, and i should think your project as well. when i use the stuff, i generally use a piece of sponge, and dab the finish in light coats till it shows the effect i want. if applied very evenly in 1 heavy coat, i think it doesn't look as good. follow up with a quality wax to "kill" the surface.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never tried this technique on nickel but it works great on silver might be worth a try.

Put a hard boiled egg this in the shell in a plastic zip loc bag with your silver item the fumes will tarnish the silver. Weird but it works well

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Tira
My technique similar to Randy J's, is to take a pad, about 70 durometer, combined with a 2, 000 grit wet/dry piece of sandpaper, to give a timeless,windworn patina. Either before or after engraving, depending on if you want either sharp engraving or well worn/aged engraving.
Merry Christmas!
Jeff

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Marty
While a medic in the oil patch, we were trained to detect the perifery of hydrogen sulfide gas, H2SO4, by the rotten egg smell. Curious as to whether that is what is happening with the egg in minute quantities? :eek:
Jeff

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Marty
Thanks to WIKI, I stand corrected, Hydrogen Sulfide is H2S while Sulfuric Acid is H2SO4.
During decomposition the egg white's H2S migrates to the yolk combining with something else creating the noxious odor.
It also stated that the human body, some more than others ( You know who you are) produces minute quantities of H2S, as a , get this, WARNING SIGNAL! :caution:
So, our training as medics applies to real life situations, also.
If, you are standing next to a person and start smelling rotten eggs, hold your breath and RUN LIKE HADES!!! :eek:
:biggrin:J

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hhhmmmm. So you are saying that we are decomposing like a rotten egg. You might have something there. I sort of felt that way all summer long.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah Yeah Marty
You can't fool me! I have Durango weather plugged into my phone and y'all were 20 degrees cooler ALL summer long!
I used to have a few acres over by Chimney Rock years ago. Still hope to get up there next summer and do some visitin. Need to get Marona to do his magic on some of my work. Heard Bo Bonds moved up North aways.
Later
Jeff

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Tira
Mery Christmas!
I found my grands place that I told you about on the web, near Solebury. It's called Honey Hollow Farm. Check it out sometime.
Hope you have a good new year
Jeff

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
My last little bottle of Birchwood Casey Super Blue I bought in August isn't working as well as my last bottle. I apply and leave it and after a bit it a bit of patina appears but not much. Last bottle gave an immediate patina. I tried their "normal" and "super".

Update: I'm having trouble with my new Super Blue on sterling silver. I tried it tonight on a nickel I'm carving and it worked just fine. My old bottle worked on sterling but maybe it had some contaminant or the age had made it work better.

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Thunderbird Supply Company in Gallup NM sells a product called True Black #5 which works better on nickel than anything else I've used.
The BC Super Blue doesn't seem to work quite as well as it used to; I wonder if they may have changed the formula a little.
Stewart

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors