After the storm

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hello friends,
Here is a pendent I started during the big storm we had here a week ago. German silver 1 3/4" dia. I finished it of course under good light since the 8-LED flashlight wasn't quite enough light but still gave me something to do, now sawing out the stock was a challenge. Since this is a gift of friendship I used it to practice a little bit using a flat but fun is the reward.
Enjoy,
Mark

Attachments

• 20120708_128.jpg
    20120708_128.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 20120708_131.jpg
    20120708_131.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 231

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
... German silver 1 3/4" dia. ...
Mark, do you know we (here in Germany) call that stuff "Alpaka", "Neusilber" (lit. new silver) or "Packfong"? Between 1740 and 1760 the amorers of Suhl fabricated barrels made of Alpaka.

Thank you for sharing!

mrthe

yes in Spain too is called "plata alema" german silver or "alpaca" alpaka but we ( jewelers) preferr call it alpaka because a lot of customers are confused if we call it herman silver because they think that are some sort of silver, and this metal haven't any part of silver in it

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone.
Mario, thanks for the lesson, I also use the term nickel silver. There is a substance of the 1700's that was termed Paktong I think, I wonder if that is the same material. If I have my history of Alpaka correct, it was used in a cast form until the early 1800's when it was rolled into sheet, but these days I could have the process backwards. Not really sure when the use of "German" was used or why.
Paolo, there is a lot of confusion here in the states over the content having silver.
Mark

mrthe

You are right Araud,in Argentina for example they call it "white bronze"

Sponsors