Question: Advice on developing an eye for determining the overall flow of a design

Rannis

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
One thing I am struggling with grasping is the concept of the visual flow of a design. What are the characteristics of a design which "lead the eye" so to speak?
Are there exercises in drawing which assist with developing this skill? Is it a skill which can be developed? Is it one of those things that comes with talent or time or a little bit of both?
I am a very technical person, both in education and personality so I have to combine didactic learning and practical application to fully grasp a concept at times. Any suggested pulications that aid in explaining this concept would be appreciated also.

T.G.III

Looking at it from the other perspective may help.

Instead of trying to find what leads to flow, or understanding what flow is, look to what causes the interruption of flow.

The elements of the designs are nothing new, the assembly of those elements and their execution is what separates the best engravers from the rest.

Study work from the better engravers and try to see their work through a critical eye instead of the glossy eyed admirer, it's difficult to do.

This forum is full of examples of what not to do, threads posted by beginners asking for critique, search out those threads, therein lies the information you seek, also look to the tips and tricks of this site and on igraver.

The other option is to invest in the instructional literature and DVD's from the various masters that have produced such work, Sam Alfano, Lee Griffiths, etc lots of videos on the you tube.

Lastly seek out a professional or take up some offered classes.

The information you seek is out there, limited only by the amount of time or money you have to invest.

Last edited:

Rannis

Many Many Thanks! Your statement of look for what not to do makes perfect sense to me, it is hard to understand what is good if you dont know what "bad" looks like.
I had been hesitant to invest in DVDs but it sounds more and more like a good idea, especially now that I recognize the names of those you have mentioned.
I just recieved Lee Gririths' book and begun digesting its contents. He is a very practical minded author and I appreciate that given my background. Again THANK YOU!
V/R Dale

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Study good designs that you like, figure out what you like about them, details. Designing with thick and thin lines of various line weights will make things pop and more interesting! Add a variety of textures, contrasts, shading juxtaposed against each other. Remember the whole is equal to the sum of the parts. Step back once in a while and look at the whole piece without magnification! You are communicating graphically, so what do you want the viewer to see, tell a story. Take breaks, walk away once in a while, don't rush, be patient, incubate your ideas, do something else once in a while, listen to music you like. The work will often look better the next day when you are well rested, fresh ideas emerge. Stop when you get tired, overly critical, uncomfortable, don't let emotions interfere with your work, it will only magnify your problems. Sometimes when you don't know what to do, do nothing. Prepare yourself and maintain the proper mindset, develop good work habits! Put in your time and you will reap your rewards. Progress slowly! Learn to do pen and ink, draw, do woodcuts, scratchboard, drypoint, printmaking, painting, doodle, etc. Develop your esthetic, color sense. Cross pollinate your creativity in various forms of art to develop your skills etc, hand/eye coordination. On scenes to engrave move around, don't focus on one area of your image too long. Bring up your design in all areas to integrate the parts to the whole. Try to make it look good in all directions, refine, refine, refine. Take progress pics to witness the refinements you are making. Make notes of what you've learned for improvements next time, what have you discovered. Think of each project as the starting point for the next one. Learn how do things correctly as long as it takes, neatness, work habits, discipline counts. Maximize how much you can learn on each project. Set new challenges, try new techniques to grow your skills etc. Remember every step is the most important step. Incorporate and adjust the design if necessary as you work, editing as you go long. When you are ready the right people will come along to help you. Unlock your voice and potential, develop experience and confidence. You have to put up with the bad to gt to the good. Enjoy the journey, and you will be proud of your destination! Enough said! ...But remember, works in progress don't always look good or come together until at or near the end, so evaluate along the way to improve but don't judge it too harshly.

Rannis

Very concise, thank you very much. I do greatly appreciate the effort to take so much time to reply in such detailed and elaborate way.
V/R Dale

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You don't become a seasoned artist over nite. Every custom project presents new design challenges for one's technical skills and esthetics to keep one engaged and stimulated, presenting new opportunities for growth. It's a very humbling process, where falling short of your mark continues to propel you to try to attain a higher level of excellence and proficiency. There is always more to learn. Often the beginning is daunting loaded with self doubt, insecurities arise. As you get more familiar with the process this improves. ...But quality work is usually labor intensive and time consuming for the best of dedicated artists. Unless you want to be a hack, there is no such thing as a free lunch. And as your standards and abilities improve it often still takes long to attain the results you desire. You need to have passion for what you are doing, to make this happen, whatever it takes to succeed. You need to have a vision of what you want to accomplish with a blind faith and a committed belief that you will do this, you will get there, experience fruition!

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Deserves a separate add. In Ron Smiths "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls ", he does a superb job explaining his philosophy of engraving and gets to the heart of what it takes to be a good engraver. In my opinion, this should be required reading for all engravers and those aspiring to be one!

Rannis

Deserves a separate add. In Ron Smiths "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls ", he does a superb job explaining his philosophy of engraving and gets to the heart of what it takes to be a good engraver. In my opinion, this should be required reading for all engravers and those aspiring to be one!
I do have that publication and his forward/intro is very insightful. Thanks again.
V/R Dale

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's a difficult question to answer, and I'm not sure there is an answer. It's kind of liking asking "how do I learn to compose music tastefully?" So much comes from trial and error and a commitment to constant practice and study, and I don't mean 30 min a day. You pretty much have to be consumed by it to really excel. You will take baby steps and make small discoveries along the way, and gradually the work improves and becomes your own style.

I'm reminded of a student once who is an engineer, and he was determined to come up with a formula for pleasing scroll design. I told him "You're thinking like an engineer and not an artist". There is no formula which renders beautiful design. It comes from the heart and the brain and it doesn't happen overnight.

Cheers!

Rannis

As a scientist I can certainly appreciate that reference. In a sort of subconcious way I probably already knew that it was purely abstract; a developed skill/appreciation without numeric parameters. I can imagine that sometimes practiced engravers could disagree on how pleasing a particular design is, and, of course, with a mutual appreciation for the execution of the work though.
I will take the scientist hat off now and practice....
Many thanks for the advice as always.
V/R Dale

ByrnBucks

Our Benevolent Dictator Sam has a great video on drawing scrolls. As Iv only had a chance to briefly meet a couple of the masters of this art, and never took an in person class, Sam‘s voice is what can be heard in my head when struggling to get a few lines on the page. Have a good one. BB

Rannis

I am humbled that he would even reply. Many Thanks!
V/R Dale

Latest posts

Sponsors