Adventures with a post 63 Winchester 94

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No photos yet still cutting along , as most know the post 1963 model 94 were made of a unknown metal casting. The one I am working on is a 1964 mfg.
So far I have run in to a couple of inclusions in the casting the worst was on the top reviewer tang, tried to inlay soft steel wire but the edges of the casting kept crumbling, so off to the welding shop heli arc with Brownells special rod for guns. I have used this welding rod many times with excellent results. But this time with the weird metal, the molten mix turned into a hard spot that crumpled any and all gravers. The file glancing off the spot while dressing down the area should have been a clue:willy_nilly[1]:.
I used a NSK air turbine grinder with diamond burr to kind of engrave this small area. The base metal cuts OK but is crumbley like cast iron. Very iffy to keep constant cuts , more to follow with photos:cheers2[1]:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, pal- good luck don't forget to send fotos.cloudy interested me in trying a plane. what a disaster- just like your gun, crumbly. i abandoned the project, swearing off trying to do this ever again.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave,Beware of any firearms made here in the US after 1964,I turn away work Im not comfortable with.Just wait to you go to blue that gun. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors