adjustable engraving bench

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I tried the thrust bearing approach, but had to do an awful lot of polishing of the shaft and socket of the drill press table to get it to work even moderately well. I may need to reduce the diameter of the shaft and add a roller bearing at the bottom end to get the smoothness of a turntable.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I tried the thrust bearing approach, but had to do an awful lot of polishing of the shaft and socket of the drill press table to get it to work even moderately well. I may need to reduce the diameter of the shaft and add a roller bearing at the bottom end to get the smoothness of a turntable.

Mike, I tried the zip ties to hold the rack in place, but they became brittle over time and failed. I replaced them with large, stainless steel hose clamps.

Yeah, I'm sure there are varying degrees of quality out there on these Chang Iron Works drill press stands... where mine is smooth as a babies bottom, yours could be galled and junky... it's a complete shot in the dark.

I could see the tie-wrap setup as being a temporary solution at best, and I have a piece of tubing that will telescope over the column. I'll put an inward chamfer on it, slide it down to the bottom, and have the rack engage with the chamfer... retaining the rotational ability of the rack to move around the column like it was intended. And if it fails before I get a chance to do that project, then I will use hose clamps as you suggested.

Latest posts

Sponsors