Acanthus leaves

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a beautiful set of acanthus leaves in iron, and then broken down so I could see and analyze the structure. I love this look of the iron work he did, and it's a good teacher for me to understand how to illustrate a leaf without it looking flat.

This is just for pure enjoyment of the design. Simplicity is beautiful to me. Enjoy!

br.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
More examples

Since this thread emerged again, I thought I would add a few examples from my travels last summer.

Detail from Queen's gate, Hyde Park, London exhibits a combination of Laurel, oak, and acanthus leaf ornament.

Detail of gilded acanthus from a cathedral in Stockholm, Sweden.

Gilded acanthus scroll from the interior of the Hermitage museum, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Detail of a wrought iron fence surrounding the Michael palace in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Attachments

• 4-Queen's Gate Hyde Park 2.jpg
    4-Queen's Gate Hyde Park 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Stockholm-cathedral scroll.jpg
    Stockholm-cathedral scroll.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Hermitage Museum-scroll-2-cu.jpg
    Hermitage Museum-scroll-2-cu.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Michael Palace fence-St.Peters.Russia-cu.jpg
    Michael Palace fence-St.Peters.Russia-cu.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 108

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, here's an interesting note that I've seen fairly consistently in this floral and leaf type design, whether in furniture or architechture, the English designs seem much fuller and balance well. Comparatively, the Russian designs are all 'lean design' - for lack of a better description. They use the vine technique to a much greater extent and provide distinct paths to the design.

Of the two, I really enjoy the English design style, as I see it.

Does this seem apparant to you, and others? Or is there a basis for this, historically or otherwise?
br.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Reminds me of the Richardsonian Romanesque architecture of the late 1800's, which was kind of an idealized neo-romanesque, and therefore drew on a loose historical blend of sources.

Latest posts

Sponsors