Question: About names, nicknames and avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, probably I don’t have to explain any more why I don’t like forum rules that much.
I’m convinced that every discussion ends the way it should, even without a moderator taking care of.

Anyway, that is my opinion, in the mean while I try to respect the forum rules here on Igraver, as I’m already banned for ever on Steve’s one. But I don’t care.

One thing that is not in the Igraver forum rules is about the name one uses and their avatar.
And I think we all agree that when talking to human kinds, we like to know to who we are talking too.
So I find it very hard to talk to MickeyGraver, Silverscroll or what ever nickname one could think of. Also having an avatar that doesn’t have a human face is quite difficult to remember who is who, at least for me.

And I probably must be stupid not understanding why one should not use his/here own name on a public forum, unless he/she has something to hide.

OK I understand about those who use their real name, and show an avatar that does not show their face.
But why would one use another name than his real name?
First of all you never will become a famous name showing your work, but you also are cheating the others.
And if I would have called myself “Lady Diva†would you have replied the same way on my treads? I’m sure you would not.

So in my opinion, it is better to have 100 active members with a name and face, than 4500 Mickey Mousses.

And yes I know I’m not allowed to criticize about the rules, but in my opinion there should be only one rule in a forum, not participating anonymous.
And yes, if none violates the rules, they never will change.

The question: do you have any problems looking at Mickey Mousse’s work?

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

Hi Arnaud

Have you ever explained why you don't like forum rules??

Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Arnaud Van Tilburgh..............is there any difference?? :)

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And yes, there is a different between Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Arnaud Van Tilburgh :big grin:

arnaud

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Arnaud, my friend,
And I hope you don’t object to me calling you friend because that is how I feel.
But I really don’t understand your criticism of the forum rules as they exist.
It seems to me that almost no one has received more help and/or improved more in their engraving and scroll design skill than you have since joining the Café forum.
So this leads me to ask why you want to change success and bend the rules to suit yourself when you together with your natural talent have been so fostered and advanced by the forum as Sam, Abigail and their helpers have administered it.
Is it just that you cannot abide by a successful format and framework unless it suits your every whim?
Sorry to be so blunt but it sounds very ungrateful and shortsighted to me.
Should you decide to start your own forum without rules I will be interested to see how it progresses.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I have to agree that it is "odd" to respond to someone who calls themselves "graverjockey". If someone wants an answer to a question, if they can't at least sign their post with a real first name, then they don't get an answer.

Since it is something that could never be enforced and soooo many do it, I'm going to request that my forum name be changed to "Snydly Whiplash". :big grin:

I'll change my avatar accordingly ....

Andrew Biggs

I did this by telling that only common sense works.

Common sense is a scarce commodity these days unfortunately and it can drift into chaos pretty quickly. It dosn't take much for the few to spoil the enjoyment of the many.

And yes, there is a different between Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Arnaud Van Tilburgh

What? They are all spelt differently???...............................just kidding :)

At the end of the day it's personal choice. Plus a lot of people have nicknames that are as common as their real name. I have a very good friend whose name is Rooster (and yes, he looks like one). It took me 5 years to find out his name was really Dennis.........and now I still call him Rooster because Dennis sounds weird :)

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
arnaud,Why were you banned from Lindsay's fourm,did you try to make changes there? J.J.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
Not a stupid question.
Perhaps some want to remain anonymous or might be shy to show work or who they are and just use alias to have questions answered.
Or how about internet privacy, search full names on google and everything you post here comes up.

I tried to change user my name to my full name when I first signed up but couldnt.

van Tilburgh this sound like a Dutch name. Are you Dutch Arnuad?

I married a Dutch girl 36 years ago. You know what they say about Dutch girls. You can allways tell a Dutch girl but you can't tell her much.

All kidding aside we are still married we have 8 children, 8 grandchildren and 2 foster children.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
And yes I know I’m not allowed to criticize about the rules, but in my opinion there should be only one rule in a forum, not participating anonymous.
Hello Arnaud, if you don't mind i'd like to add my personal experience to your words: i never have seen a better managed forum than this one. It is a pleasure to visit it. The clear rules are well-proven and i can tell, that if i would try to run my own forum, this one would be my guide.
I don't have a problem if someone likes to be Donald Duck or likes to be like him. Furthermore i am sure, i could learn a lot from Ducks or even Mr. T. And what John B. already said, you have learned a lot from all the users here, including people, who don't wanna tell their realname. So why is it important to know, who i am? Just look at my engraving-efforts, than you know who i am and what i am. Do you really need more information? I am sorry, i can't understand your one-rule-request. Please help on this...

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, my friend,
And I hope you don’t object to me calling you friend because that is how I feel.
But I really don’t understand your criticism of the forum rules as they exist.
It seems to me that almost no one has received more help and/or improved more in their engraving and scroll design skill than you have since joining the Café forum.
So this leads me to ask why you want to change success and bend the rules to suit yourself when you together with your natural talent have been so fostered and advanced by the forum as Sam, Abigail and their helpers have administered it.
Is it just that you cannot abide by a successful format and framework unless it suits your every whim?
Sorry to be so blunt but it sounds very ungrateful and shortsighted to me.
Should you decide to start your own forum without rules I will be interested to see how it progresses.

John, yes I'm still thankful for all the help I received when I tried or figure out things. But remember, during that time there where other rules. One didn't have to push the critique request button, and on top of it I asked for it.
And sure I'm honoured when you consider me as your friend, and so do I. And I will be pleased to invite you at my place one day.

I'm a moderator on Chris Forum, and till now every discussion stops by the sum of his participations. And in my opinion this is what a forum should allow.

Sure I respect Sam's private place the way I would respect every other's private place. That is just common sense.

But even good friends can have hard discussions, and we all can learn from that.

Now this tread is not only about forum rules, and when talking to you I know who you are and whet is your name. Knowing how you look like makes is-t even more interesting. As it helps to know each other.

So I started this tread after seeing one jumping in the café who has no name, just two letters. And I was just wandering if I'm the only one having problems showing myself 100% to someone who's hiding?

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@ J.Cantrell, yes I have a Dutch name, but I’m not Dutch, but Flemish, Belgium.

@Keith, yes I understand about privacy, but why then participate in a public area like the Internet? And if one speaks honest, why hiding?

@ JJ Roberts, I’m banned by violating the forum rules on Steve’s one. I showed some good information as a response referring to a video blog I made that is on Chris website, but even the name Chris is not allowed on Steve’s forum. Try it!

@ Andrew, I understand you try to respect other choices than yours for who uses nick names. But…………… you can’t convince me that you r real name is Mickey Mousse having Andrew Biggs as a nickname.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, do you remember when we started participating here in the Café? there was no critique request button, and it worked fine.
I was allowed to ask stupid questions at Phill about some scratches on a H&H.
Now from time to time the request critique button is pushed, okay then a tread could become interesting. I just showed some deigns for a engagement ring, and yes I didn't push the critique request button, as that would make no sense. But it would be the only way to start a interesting tread in my opinion.
So this is another rule that bothers me.
And yes, a lot of members helped me giving support on my starting treads, but they where not anonimous.

arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a simple solution to any rules/names problem.
In the upper right of the forum page.
There is a hyperlink.
It says log out.

Abigail

Administrator
Andrew: You think maybe that is why Sam is hairless? Is it me? :eek:
Thank you for the sweet compliment. It was wonderful seeing you in Reno as well.
Abigail

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I understand that it would be nice to have a name associated with the nickname of a member. It's more personal typing a reply to John as opposed to FunkyChicken. But that's up to the individual and I don't feel it's right to force someone to reveal their identity. I also don't feel that they have something to hide if they choose not to.

One thing is for certain, and that is that every club, church, community, school, or organization a person is involved with will always have rules thought to be unfair or unreasonable. That's just life. The Cafe isn't perfect, nor are its owners, Administrators, or Moderators, and its Rules aren't perfect either. This forum will not fit everyone's needs. Some will love it and others will seek something that better suits their idea of how a forum should operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors