A special thanks to Roger Bleile

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I want to say special thanks, and congratulate Roger Bleile for his superb article in issue #82 of the FEGA magazine. The article was very well done and self explanatory.
I started to send Roger a PM on this but then changed my mind because I wanted everyone to know how I felt about this.
Although I have never met or spoken to Roger, I feel like I could ask him anything, because of the article and reading his post in the forum. However I have spoken to Carl Bleile several times and the inspiration that he has given me along with the tips, have really shown up in my recent attempts. Anyway I said all that to say this, I know that Roger and Carl would help you with any project you have, and I can’t wait to meet them at the Engrave In.

A little back ground. When I first started back to trying to learn to engrave (after several years) a few months ago, I was really inspired be the Flare Cut. Although not knowing what it was, I happened upon the look while practicing on my cuts, then continued to do more of it I even posted this picture on the forum because I was having trouble with a burred edge, found out that it was my tools. I love this type of engraving and will be doing more of it since the issue #82. I also want to learn other types of engraving, and will, if I live long enough. I really do have the desire and patience. I have had to cut back from my cutting as all ya’ll know the last few months because of other stuff that had to be done. I am at a point now to restart the chipping, and will be looking for advice so be prepared for some dumb questions.
In the beginning I was using the Gravermeister with the long hand piece, since then I have upgraded to the 915 hand piece and the Lindsey templates and I am happy with my equipment at the present time, however I have my eyes set on the Lindsey Artisan. I really want to see and test drive one at the grave in and then will probably buy one.
Now that I know what Flare Cut is I am going to try to perfect it, to again Thanks Roger, and hope to have a long conversation with you at the get together.

Attachments

• Flare Cut.JPG
    Flare Cut.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 118

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger and carl are like many in this wonderful art; they are quite generous of their time and very helpful to those who wish to learn. this world could use a few million more like those two gentlemen ! your cuts look graceful as far as you took them. keep at it, you have the right idea.

wdale.bass

ditto that.Thanks roger for showing me yet another way to "use what you know" but ina different way. Iam a "silver" guy up to this point and have been cutting that double-cut for years and never thought about that particular technic,thanks,it will soon grace some spyderco knives that I engrave .You guys amaze me with your talent and your willingness to share it with us all. Dale

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
roger and carl are like many in this wonderful art; they are quite generous of their time and very helpful to those who wish to learn. this world could use a few million more like those two gentlemen ! your cuts look graceful as far as you took them. keep at it, you have the right idea.

Monk, thanks for the kind words on the cutting. This was some of the first cuts I had made in about 30 years.
I have been practicing the Flare Cut today and it is coming fairly natural. Now to get the designs to look a little better and I might even try one of my cheap knives. It is still a little intimidating to start on a project. I just don't quite have the confidence yet. Maybe by next week I will get up the courage.

Latest posts

Sponsors