A ruling from ATF

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greetings fellow gun scratchers. For many years, I've been working as an independent sub-contractor for a lot of gunsmiths throughout the U.S.A., plying my engraving trade skills to their firearms. (Yes---I've been flying under the Radar for a long, long time...nothing illegal, just a low profile.)

We are legally required to possess a Federal Firearms License (FFL) to conduct this type of business and according to ATF's rules,I've understood that engraving is technically classified as "Gunsmithing". (I could be wrong about that)
Some time ago, a ruling or law was passed that some gunsmithing operations may be considered manufacturing operations and could require an additional manufacturing license if you made/manufactured 50 or more firearms in any year.
Now,my purpose is not to get into the "nuts and bolts" of what ATF considers to be a manufacturing function on a receiver, but nevertheless, I became involved in this case.
Here's the ruling, verbatum, to me from ATF:
....a marking variance request entails sending your various models (of firearms) to an engraver,Brian Powley,Bloomingdale, Ohio, for engraving work.
However, engraving is not considered to be "manufacturing". Please be advised that ATF has determined in ATF Rul.2009-1 that "engraving firearms is a process in which a decorative pattern is placed on the external metal of a firearm primarily for ornamental purposes. The engraving can be cut by hand or machine or pressed into the metal. There are other engraving techniques that cut designs into firearms such as checkering or scalloping. Any person who engages in an activity or process that primarily adds to or changes a firearms appearance by engraving the external surface of the firearm does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act."

You still need an FFL for handling,smithing,transfering firearms, but you don't need a manufacturers license on top of the FFL.
And please remember---a firearm is any part of a gun that has a serial number.

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for that, Brian. The last time the ATF was here the agent also told me there should be no reason for me to have a manufacturing license just for engraving. I have another follow up with the ATF tomorrow at 10. :)

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And please remember---a firearm is [I said:
any[/I] part of a gun that has a serial number.

Sorry Brian but this incorrect, by Federal law by definition, a firearm is only the receiver of the gun, and this is the only part that requires a serial number.

Some cities or states may have different statues that supercede the Federal definition for your local area, but these are not enforceable by the ATF.

It is rare for US manufactured guns to see anything other than the receiver have a serial number, while firearms from other countries may have multiple serial numbers, such as on bolts, barrels, slides or upper recievers, etc. This may also be done by a manufacturer to help keep fitted parts together, or sometimes for military contract requirement. You also have to realize that other countries may have different laws respecting serial numbers. Germany for instance only requires that the serial number be placed on the barrel. This means that occasionaly we see guns of German origin here in the US that have only the barrel marked and therefore, technically illegal because there is no number on the receiver.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh Brian, I wish it were luck. I recently changed from an FFL for a sole proprietorship to an FFL for an LLC. This is followup due to some of the paperwork for the second FFL needing to be straightened out and for turning in the first FFL. Clear as mud, right? Hopefully by noon the i's will be dotted and the t's will be crossed.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, I will concede that you are correct. I'm guilty of generalizing. By that I mean that a frame for a 1911 style auto pistol isn't a receiver as we generally acknowledge it, but it is a firearm---even if it is completely stripped down.
A stripped down frame for a single action, the same way. I guess ATF would consider them to be recievers. My bad.
And yes...European manufacturers did stamp serial numbers, or at least the last two digits of a serial number, on almost every part. Mainly for fitting purposes. I can't say I've seen much of that in the USA, except for revolver cylinders, but I suppose it does happen here.

Either way---My point = if it has a manufacturers serial number on it and it is sent to you for engraving, get an FFL.
I don't want to mentally arm wrestle with an ATF field agent wielding the weight of the entire U.S.A.T.F AND looking for a promotion that just happened to have a fight with his ex-wife last night. LOL!

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Brian .. i engrave a lot of colts and i know on some of the 1st gen and 2 nd gen the serial # appears on the frame ,,back strap and cylinder .. ron p

Latest posts

Sponsors