A rifle for the Reno Show

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW Brian...I have never been SHAZAAMED before..
Again much thanks to everyone for the kind words.
While talking with Andrew about the rifle, I plan on finishing it with some color case hardening as the metal is quite soft and it would protect the engraving while highlighting the gold lines. I am up for other suggestions if anyone has any.
On the other side I plan of engraving the following picture with modifications to fit the engraved panel. Here is a smoke print of the other side plate. Now if anyone has any other great old image that they think would work out better. I would be intersted in seeing it.
Thanks again
Marty

Attachments

• left SP engr scan for scene.jpg
    left SP engr scan for scene.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 92

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, Very very nice work on this rifle. I really like the layout on it and your execution is great. Thanks for posting,

Dwayne

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Great work on a timeless classic. I also enjoyed the article about the Shiloh. Got one in 50/90 for precisely the same reason.

You once said to me on this forum that "only a few people can enhance an old Winchester". That's something I'll never forget and something that has been driving me to deliver on - not only out of pure defiance but also because you were right.

Take care,

Chris

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You once said to me on this forum that "only a few people can enhance an old Winchester".

I did????????????????????????????

Did you get the FEGA newsletter that the Sharps was going to be in? I started loading up some 45-70 BP loads to play with when the weather gets better here after Reno

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Allow me to refresh your memory .... :big grin:

From the Winchester '73 Restoration thread ....

I will never work on a 1873 that is in really good collector condition. They deserve the dignity of staying that way as a record of past history.
I have and will work on a rifle that needs major or almost major help and consider it restoring it to some sort of dignity.
One important point that i think is being overlooked here. While an engraver in the class of Ron Smith and a few others can enhance an old rifle, I have seen too many that have been destroyed by poor engraving and gunsmithing. While the rifle will no longer have original collector value no matter who engraves it, we should at least try to give it an honored artistic place in history if we choose this route.
In short. work on a replica until you feel your skills will enhance the gun.

I found that my '73 was more or less border line and probably worth more parted out (and mighty tempting it was). While 100% original with great mechanics, it needed a new barrel, all new screws and some deep pits still need to be laser filled.

I'd say that it is not unreasonable to expect 2+ years to locate replacement parts, metal prep, perfect wood as well as squeeze in engraving time. I could have sold it and searched for a better one but that would have set me back a couple more months at least.

Since that discussion, I've adopted the philosophy that I'd rather see something like this done over-the-top and if not, left completely un-engraved ... even if it was properly restored.

Refinishing antiques appears to gaining popularity as I see a lot more of them. Sadly, many have done nothing more than buff the crap out of them, put on a balsa wood Midway USA replacement stock and make a quick buck.

---------

I got the newsletter with the Sharps. The great thing about BPCRs is that once the cases are fire formed, you don't need to mess with the dies again. Those guys with their high-tech ultra and ultra ultra modern magnums and high power scopes have no idea what their missing out on. If I ever get to engrave mine, I'll deck it out with an RHO scope.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
AHA thanks now I remember it.
Actually I find fixing up the oldies rather theraputic. It does take time a creativity to dig up either old parts or new ones for the restoration. Yes it does also save money in the long run besides being fun.
Here's a story you might like in that vein. A friend has a legit 1 of 1000 1873. I asked him in a moment of weakness to climb up and get it off the wall so I can fondle it. Well upon looking at it i felt the barrel engraving was recut and totally botched up. I re-engraved another original barrel for him so the gun would be properly restored, which I found out it was prior. When asked how much he owes me for the engraving I said that he owed me nothing and it was fun to work on it. To which he added.OK you want the other one??????????? There were 2 of them consecutivelynumbered. What he offered me was a stripped down frame and buttplate with the proper serial number, museumletter and history on the rifle. It took me seven years to find the proper parts to complete the rifle. Now it is finished and is an acknowledge retored 1 of 1000 and is listed in the new 1 of 1000 book that just came out.. It's fun

Attachments

• 1 of 1K 4web.jpg
    1 of 1K 4web.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 86

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For what it is worth.I did do the engraving with hammer and chisel so it is done the "old fashioned way" on the 1 of 1000

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jason.
I was thinking of leaving the leaves alone so they stand out in contrast color and texture wise to the rest of the surface. But who knows. That can always change when I see how the metal looks with a finish on it. As the always say."nothing is carved in stone"

Sponsors