a new brass square - shop made

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
[/IMG]

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, I like your square very much,tools with character are a joy to work with. I was wondering if you used a "master square" to calibrate it or not. If not what did you use to check the tool for accuracy?

scott99

bthomas

A simple check for accuracy that I use even on squares that I use frequently: position one leg of the square on the edge of a piece of steel (or any other material). scribe a line along the other leg of the square across the piece. Flip the square and check to see if it lays exactly on the scribed line.

If you find your square is not lining up to the scribed line when flipped you can often use a center punch to dot either the inside or ouside corner to bring it back to square.

(ie. strike the center punch sharply against the flat side of the square, and this will slightly stretch the metal and will usually bring this style back into alignment).

bthomas

A simple check for accuracy that I use even on squares that I use frequently: position one leg of the square on the edge of a piece of steel (or any other material). scribe a line along the other leg of the square across the piece. Flip the square and check to see if it lays exactly on the scribed line.

If you find your square is not lining up to the scribed line when flipped you can often use a center punch to dot either the inside or ouside corner to bring it back to square.

(ie. strike the center punch sharply against the flat side of the square, and this will slightly stretch the metal and will usually bring this style back into alignment).

Latest posts

Sponsors