A Memorial Sauce Pot

GeorgeKhayata

Tira,
I love the Edwardian script you did, it looks very nice, and let me tell you, you are very creative, I like the way you created to hold it:cool:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if not for an eagerness to embellish all things weird, i might never get work ! probably my strangest was a
toilet seat and lid. an exec was being hired by a company and his preference for office work in the can preceeded him to the new company. the seat and lid was installed and when the junior exec was given his grand tour on his first day there, i was told everyone lost their mind when the poor victim was ushered into the can !! i'm only sorry i wasn't there . this career has been so rewarding. not in the dollar sense as much as the feeling one gets from becoming involved with other people. there is no price to be put on this. monk

donnatheeng

soft metals like aluminum

tira,seems like i am popping up alot today but this is the first time i thought i could share,since i mostly do jewelry and silver.i keep on my desk a plastic bottle cap with kleenex in it. pour baby oil on it and just soak the kleenex moist.when i am engraving on soft or sticky metals like pewter,alominum or platinum ,i just lightly put my blade on the oily kleenex then cut.it makesbright cuts go smooth on sticky metals.i have a hard time picturing how you cut the pot in the vise.when i do large things or wierd things i put them in my lap on different size pillows depending on their size and shape.that way i can flip them around to cut up and down.does the graver max cut differently than my hand tools?

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Tira
Something for you to consider is using rice.

Not long ago i did two silver wine goblets - very large, very old and very irreplaceable. They too needed a large arc and scrroll.

All attemots to clamp them normally and abnormally failed. So off i went to costco and picked up a commercial bag of rice. Dumping it into a large container made a good nest for the goblets. The rice held them steady, I could get my hand in and rotate them as necessary and there was no fear of scratching them.. Sandbags are ok if they are made with something like soft leather that doesnt leak but normally require a trip to a saddle shop for a sewing machine that can handle the load. Another good item is a lead shot shooting bag. They make one that pinches itself together to grasp a rifle and scope. Runs about 50 bucks.

rather than use pure flats for you script try grinding them to be extreamly large knife gravers - old mullers work well if you chop them down in length. that way you have the best of both blades.

Latest posts

Sponsors