A Memorable Visit with Sam Welch

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I write, I am visiting my sister in Colorado Springs, and will soon drive the very few minutes to Dave London's place for some shop talk, but first family bonding is on the menu.
I hitched a ride from Northern California in my long time buddy, Peter's, camper truck. After visiting with me in Mendocino, he was passing through Colorado, going back to Boston, this morning he waved goodbye and hit the Prairies for that long journey East. We have been academics and climbers in a past lifetime. To give you some idea how long we have known each other, he came from England, and me from Scotland, to do some research in Vancouver at the University of BC. We both were searching for a place to live, and bumped into each other while responding to an ad. for a small one room apartment for rent within walking distance of the campus. I beat him to it by about five minutes so I got the apartment in a photo finish. The nice landlady gave Peter an old bicycle as a consolation prize. The apartment rented for $28 dollars a month, heating included. Yep, you guessed it, it was back in 1961. Them were the days. I had finished up a stint as cowboy singer on a dude ranch in Wyoming, and just signed on as the cheap white trash warm up gig in a Vancouver club that featured many famous and legendary names … John Lee Hooker, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Johnny Cash, and many more. I arrived in Vancouver in the rain, slept out under a tree in Stanley Park, got up at dawn, put on a pair of 25 cent pants, brushed my hair, went up to the Engineering Department to beg for a Master's Degree application. The department head was too distracted to talk much to me, as his lab teacher just bailed from the coming year's teaching contract. Seizing my chance, I butted in, and said I would teach the labs, if he would sign me on for a Master's programme. He thought for a moment looking me up and down, as I began to have second thoughts about what the heck I was saying, but before I could panic, he agreed. Feeling quite satisfied, yet terrified with my day's work, I went back to my big cedar tree and slept contentedly in the rain, trusting that it would all work out.

It did.

Peter and I became fast friends and adventurer's. Last week we set out from the Coast through 1200 miles on high mountains and burning deserts on the way to the 'Springs.

Passing through eastern Utah, near Moab, our route took us within a stone's throw of the homestead of our illustrious colleague, master engraver, and jack of all trades, Sam Welch. A generous email from Sam said we should swing by, and take a slice of his verdant acres to camp in our truck, have a chin wag, a few tunes, and a look-see at his studio, plus a few other delights.

I took a few snapshots, sent them to Sam for approval, and he wrote back today saying all look okay, and I could share the visit with y'all here on the forum. Here they are:

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/SamWelch?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_J366MoZzVIQ

Now many of you have known Sam for decades before I discovered the oasis of the engraving forums, heretofore lost in the wilderness of 'teach yourself' desert landscapes. His masterful work is way above my pay scale, however, Sam is always branching into new adventures, and has been both building guitars and ukes, then engraving parts of the instruments. I strum some on guitar and other things, so we do touch base in a few areas, and you will see he is master restorer of cars, again, I apprenticed at Rolls Royce, so some stars were in alignment. The biggest of Sam's stars is his gentle and modest human nature, always authentic and even handed, as many will know. He generously put us into his souped up truck, one at a time, and took a spin.

Pictures hopefully will speak for themselves, however there is a subtlety in his guitars and uke that I must mention. I just about fell off my seat when Sam casually mentioned that the purfling around tone resonator hole, and also the purfling around the whole guitar is a meticulously cut and inlaid in Morse Code! Sam was in the Air Force Meteorology unit in Alaska, and his Morse Code is good. Some of you will be able to read it on the photos. My Morse Code is very, very slow, as the Danish operators found out in my messages from Greenland in 1958. I feel confident Sam will help us out with what the messages say?

I will say no more than a big thank you to Sam, and for those with time on their hands, more of the 1200 mile trip is posted here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/PeterSEdit?authkey=Gv1sRgCMvL2Zf33oad8gE

Rod

Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Around the guitar sound hole the code says 'hearken unto me and I shall entertain thee'. The perfling says ' Sam Welch engraver luthier GrandDad'.

Much enjoyed the visit Rod...and not everyone gets a guitar and squeeze box concert right in the living room. What a treat!

JJ Roberts

Rod,Thank's for sharing the wonderful pictures of your road trip across this beautiful country and Sam's shop,engravings & his hot rod,got to love that. Have a safe & enjoyable trip.J.J.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, all, good colleagues!

JJ and Roger, you are both so right, Peter and I are deeply moved by the wide sweep of the American landscape. Virtually all of the world has seen America on the silver screen, yet the two of us live most of our lives in the US these days, so we have the privilege of journeying through it. Peter loves the huge spaces so much, I believe he has driven coast to coast about thirty times! Of course, all the world also loves American music, me included.

Yes, Roger, John Ford, were he alive today and walked into Sam's homestead, I am sure we would say to Sam W....'can I have permission to make a movie here? Don't move anything, its perfect, and by the way will you play the part of John Wayne's buddy?' ..

Rod

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
D, that is a 292 Chevy straight 6 out of a '71 pickup. It has been bored .030 over (296 cubes), 9:1 propane pistons, decked, balanced, cast iron dual exhaust manifolds, Offenhauser quad intake with an Edelbrock 500 carb, electronic ignition, marine cam, will be backed with a 700R4 tranny and going into a '38 Studebaker 4 door with numerous goodies. Being built for long distance travel. Hope we can still buy gas by the time I get it all done!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
D, that is a 292 Chevy straight 6
I thought as much. I've always wanted to build one and have been keeping my eye out for a truck engine. Pretty much like yours except with a pair of small, sidedraft Webers and manual trans w/OD. I missed a nice 56 Chevy sedan delivery last fall by waiting until the next day to call on it. I had just come off a day putting my new roof on and my butt was dragging so I was too pooped to call. A local man has a 51 GMC panel truck that I can't talk him out of. He's using it for a storage shed and has it filled with all his "valuables". The search continues........

Sponsors