A little progress (Maybe)

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a snapshot of the chipping I did this afternoon. Now I have to build a light box to make pictures, it never ends, does it?
Anyway this was done with sharper gravers, thanks to all who gave advice if it hadn't been for that this would have taken me a year to accomplish. I think I may be getting a little better control now that the graver is sharp. I may have to shallow up a little on my cutting tho, every now and then it seems as tho it wants to plow. When that happens I stop and resharpen and it gets better.
This plate had pits in it but was scrap so I used it anyway. There are a few slips but not near as many as it used to be. Guys, it really looks better in person, these are terrible pictures.
Thanks for looking and any comments welcome.
Carl

Attachments

• Show.jpg
    Show.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Show 1.JPG
    Show 1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 241

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I was hoping for some constructive criticism on this thread. Are the pictures to bad for viewing or what have I done wrong? Usually there are a few answer to my thread. By the way I did find the 9H pencils, but had to order them. No place locally had them.
Comments (good or bad) please.
Carl

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK Carl The best way to get critique is to describe the tools used. I think a smoother backbone would serve your design better. You may want to try taking a single clean swipe with a flat as far as you can stop the cut and take off on a new cut from there. Try a fine line with a 120 on the high side of the cut to frame the cut. Don't come off the main stem so heavy. Start off the main stem lightly and go into your cut. It will give your leafs and tendrils a more natural flow. I like some of fold over effects your achieving on some of your leafs. Keep cutting you got the idea.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the advise, I do realize...Practice, Practice, then Practice some more.
Mike Thanks so much for the tutoring. I used a 120 for all the cuts on this picture. If I understand you correctly, you are saying to make the backbone much smaller. I don't understand the phrase about the flat.
What if I used a 90 for the backbone and the 120 for the leafs, would this be better? Today is a good day for practice, so I should get a few hours in.
Thanks
Carl

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Hi carl, I have cut this style a few times. I look at your design and it reminds me of a cornstalk. Straight up and down.I think your design needs more of a spiral scroll look. I had to play with it for awhile before i understood what looked good to my eye. Here is a money clip that i practiced on. Sometimes a picture helps. You have got a good start now draw it more than cut it. You will develop your own style after awhile.

Attachments

• fla.jpg
    fla.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 74
  • fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 94

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
D.Douglas, Hi, you are absolutely correct in saying that a picture helps. Thanks for the pictures they are beautiful and this is the style that I enjoy. Someday I hope to do as good as this.
Thank you so much.
Carl

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sharp is mandatory ! as you become accustomed to the way a cut "feels" as it progresses, when it starts to feel "off", or "not right", stop cutting. check your graver with at least a 10 x loupe to see if it's getting dull. if it is, go to a fresh graver, or re-sharpen right away. good luck