A lesson in precision

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Great photos!
But with that overrun line front and center maybe you should retract your brag.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I always used a lathe to cut cylinder and barrel bands. Seems crazy not to if you have access to one.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Sam & Rex,

Would one of the Sherline or Old Atlas Craftsman Lathes work for barrels and cylinders?

Donny

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep. In fact I use an old Atlas my father bought with his WWII bonus. I turn the stuff by hand to make the cuts.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...and I'm with you Bert. I'll bet his arm is sore from all that patting! LOL!
But why wouldn't it be? I send these types of pictures to prospective clients and although it sounds a bit braggadocios, it is just pure salesmanship.
What I'm really guilty of here is not mentioning those that taught me to be so good at this craft.
They shared and I listened.
So in order to bring it full circle, let me thank a few those that have taught and mentored me over the years:
Eric Gold, Ron Smith, Chris DiCamillis,Lee Griffiths, Johny Weyerts, Ray Viramontez, Ralph Bone, Roger Sampson,Mike Dubber,Sam Alfano, Rex Pederson, Marty Rabeno, Tira Mitchell,Diane Scalese, Ken Hunt, Marcus Hunt, Winston Churchill, Phillipe Grifnee, Ugo Talenti, Giacomo Fausti, Giovanni Steduto, Sam Welch, and probably a couple of dozen more that I'm not intentionally omitting. ;)

Last edited:

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I see a little wobble in the gold bands. I may have to come over to your house and show you the right way to do this.

Love,

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors