A knife of recycled material

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hello ,
The dungeon has been about 50 degrees so I had to do something to stay warm, so I decided to make a knife from a piece of Damascus bar I've had for years. I have no idea what the make up of the bar was. I cut a piece out of the bar about 3/4" x 4" x 3/16" thick and stretched the piece into a tapered tang fixed blade 8 1/8" long. Then I decided to salvage some old silver and pour the bolster material, thus the the problem of inclusions arose as I engraved them. A good lesson learned but at the most inopportune time. Last but not least the curly maple scales are from a flintlock I built some years ago.
Please feel free to comment or critique since I'm quite aware of some of the shortfalls in my mind but would be to see if anyone sees something I missed. Enjoy!
Mark

Attachments

• DSC02751.jpg
    DSC02751.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC02783.jpg
    DSC02783.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 222

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
rather elegant, even if made from old stuff you had laying around. very nice.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your kindness.
Ken, if you hadn't noticed I left enough room to thread your monogram on the maple scales. I'll finish it when the check is in hand. lol
Fare well,
Mark

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love recycled materials.If you pour the silver and then reduce it with a hammer,it will make it a better consistency for engraving and cut much nicer than as cast material.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Silverchip, I had to refine the billet with the hammer. The material cut well until I'd hit an inclusion. A good lesson learned I would say. Got to love using stuff up that others discard, also gives a better sense of accomplishment.
Mark

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: Thank you for sharing that beautiful knife, Mark ! It must give a good feeling to make such a nicely decorated & usefull object out of metal pieces that 'sailed around' in your workshop for years, giving them a new life :thumbs up:! My sincere congratulations, kind regards, Paulie:beerchug:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, the inclusions are very small but when engraving and a void open under the tip of the tool, the tool wants to drop into this void. Most of the inclusions were pinhead size and hidden within the engraving but a couple opened in the most obvious of places. I'm pleased with the execution of the work just not the pouring of the silver, which means more experience and proper technique instead of sort cutting the process. Thank you for looking.
Paulie, I'm delighted you like it and yes the idea of using up leftover material is intriguing to me. I think more of the challenge of accomplishment, but then end result may be no different if using off the shelf materials. Nice part is I don't have to wait for delivery or return what didn't work or wasn't quite right. I like to use what happens to be available to me at the moment.
Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors