A Inkjet Transfer method that works

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member

The Image is part of a 1.5 by 3 inch practice plate.

After following the many posts about Inkjet transfers and Tom Whites Transfer Magic I decided to give it a try.

It was said if you use DuraBrite ink, Transfer Magic and the new Transfer Films (substitute for Epson Transfer Film) will work.

I searched the Net for a printer that uses DuraBrite ink, I ordered a Epson Workforce 30 Printer.

It is said that DuraBrite ink is bad to clog Print Heads so I ordered a Complete set of cleaning cartridges.

Since I do not make many transfers, my plan is to completely clean the Print Heads after I have all the transferring done, Then store the printer without fear of It clogging and ruining the Heads.

I ordered Tom Whites Transfer Magic, a box of fifty transfer Films and a bottle of 99 percent Isopropyl Alcohol.

When everything arrived I set about to make my first Transfer.

Right off the get Go The Workforce 30 Printer will not print clear transfer films, so you must back It up with another piece of paper.

Directions say to print on the rough side of the Transfer Film.

After I had a print, I got a Practice blank, Tom's Transfer Magic, sanded the Blank, Cleaned blank with Isopropyl Alcohol, applied Transfer Magic as per instructions, Transfer was very Skippy.

After many tries I noticed the transfers were just as good on areas that did not receive Transfer Magic (bare metal), so I put the Transfer Magic away.

I noticed the print sample Tom includes with his Magic is not rough, so I tried printing on the smooth side.

The film holds the print very well but it is slow to dry, I wait approximately 30 minutes to one hour before trying to apply.

As you can see from the picture It makes a very good Transfer.

So Here are the steps.

Use DuraBrite ink, Print your design, Let It dry/set for at least 30 minutes, Sand your substrate (Gun or practice Plate), Clean with Isopropyl Alcohol and let dry, Apply very light coat of White Lacquer paint (not necessary), Clamp or Tape one end of Printed Transfer in place, Lightly Burnish the design (I use the bottom of a spoon until my Burnisher arrives) until the Ink has Transfered, you can raise one end to check, If all is not well let It down and Burnish some more, Apply light coat of cheap Hair Spray and your good to Go.

I do not use any Magic at all now.

Try It I think you will be pleasantly surprised as I was.

Ken

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, thanks for posting your results. It's very helpful to see what methods others are using. :)

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Tira

There seems to be two secrets to making this work.

1.DuraBrite Ink (Soluble in Isopropyl Alcohol ).
2.The right Transfer Film, This new Film From Esjay Unlimited seems tor work. Contact Tom James and tell him your an Engraver (I am told You will get a better price). 1-800 524-2528

Ken

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I never get tired of reading about other people's successful tranferring. Good for you! It doesn't work until it does. Which sounds duh, but I can't tell you how many different things I've tried before I found something that works.

Tom