A first attempt at hobo nickels

hobonickel#1.png

Here it is, I learned a lot about sculpting metal, it was a most interesting project.

Now you can tell me all that's wrong about it, So next time I'll do a better job

Simone

mrthe

very good work Simone, to be the first one i have to say that is great, sculpting is not very easy and the your is very well done!
Keep carving!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nothing wrong there. rather unique design, for one thing. thanks for sharing.

Whoa guys!! That surely boosted my morale!

I did it about a month ago and after finishing it my teacher suggested i put it away for a couple of days before putting a patina on, when I looked at it again I could only see my errors..

Thanks again,
Simone

@bruce, It may look a bit like me because I used a mirror to define the proportions(like where to put the ear etc), but other than that it's just a made up face. I did try to use as little as the original profile as possible so i would have a ton of practice leveling the field and making it look right.
I also tried to change the face a bit by changing the cheeks and the jaw, now that I know how the nickel is laid out I would probably do it a bit differently so I don't have to carve it the same way.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations on your first (of many, I hope) Hobos! I rather like the smooth, almost Art Deco surface handling. If you want a little more info on facial proportions, go to a tip that I posted a while back. ( http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?9354-Facial-Proportions-by-Doc-Mark} Your ear is not in proper position, nor is it anatomically correct. But, remember this is a stylistically rendered profile and you can cheat a little. But, if there is only one item out of proportion, then it just looks out of place and distracting.

Thanks a lot, my arts background is very little, almost nonexistent, and the "rolling" of the ear is due to a transfer error, I noticed it only after the nickel was finished

Your article has been bookmarked and will go into my notes.

Simone

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors