A few watches I've recently engraved!

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys.

Arno, basically I spent every day at the bench for 4 years, learning everthing I could from dvds, books and this wonderful forum. Then in the evenings, with pencil & paper, I was drawing and drawing (still do that now, as I know I still have lots and lots to learn).

One thing I have learned, is there are no real short cuts with engraving. It's only the hours put in that make the difference. Fortunately, I am one of those characters (OCD?) that, when they decide to do something, they put everything they can to it - and I'm very grateful for that, as I absolutely love what I'm doing! :) :) :)

Cheers,

Jo

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Jo

I want to double repeat every compliment you have received on your engraving of these watches. I like engraving watches and I hope one day to be half a good as you at the Designing and Engraving of these beautiful canvas's
Thank you so much for taking the time to show your work

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Jo I have a question for you. I assume that the watches you engrave are like the ones I have engraved which are made of 300 series Stainless steel. My question for you is do you dub the tip of your graver or use any method to help keep the tip from breaking while engraving your watches

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Superb work Jo, thank you for sharing it.

I can remember very well when you joined the forum... really an amazing achievement in a relative short time. Congratulations!

Leonardo

Last edited:

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys.

It really is amazing how 5 years has gone so fast. :)

Bill, don't quote me on this, as I could be wrong, but I don't think the high end watches are 300 grade stainless.
Rolex certainly used to use 316L, but changed to 904L in 2000. However, some parts of the watch feel very different to engrave, than other parts, so not entirely sure it's all the same grade, or if certain bits have been treated differently.

Other watches again feel different than Rolex, but not sure of their grade. Someone did once tell me 600, but no idea myself. I would be very interested to know though, if there's anyne out there who could enlighten me!

Regarding dubbing the point. I've always had mixed results with this. If I get to a point where my gravers keep breaking, I'll give dubbing a go, sometimes it helps, but more often than not, the point breaks again.

I've started using C-max recently, and they seem to be a lot better than anything else I've used. Steve's Carbalt are very good too, just not had as much time to play with that one yet.

Hope this helps,

Jo

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful work miss Jo, :thumbsup:
Sorry but I must disagree with one thing..

your Quote ---
"One thing I have learned, is there are no real short cuts with engraving." ----

There is one .. the Internet connection--- and especially The Engravers Cafe
The tons of information, tricks, tips, advice,etc is invaluable stuff that a lot of us never had and had to to find out ourselves, the hard way, by trial and error... and most of all... lots of years..;)

Congratulations with your beautiful work and your amazing progress..

Last edited:

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Of course, you are quite correct Frank. We are immensly fortunate to have the reference materials at hand, as well as the books and DVDs that our previous engraving generation did not. So yes, maybe you could call that a shortcut, but you still need to learn it, and that takes time - in the same way that learning any trade takes time.

My point is, no matter how many books you read, or DVDs you watch, you'll never 'learn to engrave' without putting graver to metal, which involves time at the bench!

Thank you for the compliment.

Jo

mrthe

I agree with Jo, Practice an Practice is essential and only with a great love and passion for what you do you can do it and have great results, dvds and books are a great aid but only perseverance and hours spent at the bench really help you in Improve more and more.

ericnh

Great job and even better pictures. Awesome designs as well. I rarely engrave anything other than award plaques and trophies. This is some how inspiring me to do bigger engraving jobs. Although engraving expensive watches may be beyond my skills, I may be able to try on inexpensive jewelries, knives and similar items. Creating a design is the most difficult task for me. It take days to create one.

Latest posts

Sponsors