A couple of guns that I worked on

James Miller

Reading posts I see that many of the contributers are interested in guns. Over here in the UK, the ownership of hand guns is now illegal, but about ten years ago I worked with another UK goldsmith, Edward D Evans, together we created a few of Edward's gun designs. Ed is a jeweller and I helped him with some of the goldwork on his guns, we have lost contact recently as ed has stopped working and is on a world tour, but I am sure he would not mind me showing you his designs. The gold work is all 18ct. the stones used in the Lion head gun are mostly diamonds with sapphire eyes and a large cabochon emerald in the mouth. The pony head gun is set with diamonds.

Attachments

• Horse gun.JPG
    Horse gun.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Lion gun.JPG
    Lion gun.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 169

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
truly amazing work. quite unique, certainly a feast for the eye.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James those are I don't know what ( I can't find the words ). Where did these pieces end up?
Kevin P.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James, very nice.

I have a friend who designed and made almost the same designs for fire weapons.
His name is Omer Creanen, I will ask him if I can show some of his guns work.
He also made golden figurative bullets with diamonds, and showed them at the arms fair at Neurenberg Germany.

arnaud

James Miller

James those are I don't know what ( I can't find the words ). Where did these pieces end up?
Kevin P.

Kevin, The guns were sold via Asprey, I believe to the Sultan of Brunei's family members, but I am not sure as it was Ed Evans's business dealings, but at that time we were making a lot of gold goods for the Brunei family, mainly table lamps as designed by Edward Evans, who is a great designer. I had a working relationship with Ed Evans for eight years until he stopped trading and left the UK after his main customer Asprey was sold up and the new owners cancelled all orders to us Uk craftsmen. If you thought the guns were good you should see what we made as table lamps.

James Miller

one of the sets of table lamps by Edward Evans

As requested here is one pair of table lamps that I mentioned earlier. They were designed and made by Edward Evans, with some manufacturing help from me, I made the shades and flowers. They are 16 inches tall made from 18ct gold and silver. the shades were engraved and pierced by me before being plique a-jour enamelled to allow the light through, like the Tiffany lamps. Enamelling was by Ed's son Simon Evans. We made six of these lamps and some other pairs of different designs by Ed Evans. All were destined as palace furniture for the Sultan of brunei. The photos show the same pair but one shows the light through the shades. I hope you like them.

Attachments

• EE.Gazebo lamps pair.jpg
    EE.Gazebo lamps pair.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 68
  • EE.Gazebo lamps alight.jpg
    EE.Gazebo lamps alight.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 67

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your work gives new meaning to the word "bling" James.

The Brunei family sure has a desire for some incredible posessions. Some of the knifemakers have made incredible custom knives for them also.

Thanks for the posts,

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
My hat off to the Brits on this work.

You have always had great tradition of outstanding jewelry work in the UK.
I remember visiting a friend years ago, in the 70's at the Jewelry Arts school in London. And, I tell you, they were really put through the ringer with their projects.
Thanks for sharing.

Boris

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed,

Thanks for the pictures and background on the items. I am saddened to hear that Asprey's, as I knew it, is gone and with it the British craftsmanship.

CRB

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James it's great that there were patrons that had the pockets so that you and others got to do such astonishing work.
I hope it's not the end.
As soon as I said that I thought of Phil Coogan's firearms.
Kevin P.