901 handpiece piston issue

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hahaha very funny David!!

Steve ... it's a top secret installation so no photos are allowed inside. :cool:

I'm just tryin' to insert some humor here. Sorta changin the subject while I think on the overwhelming evidence posted by the very convincing handpiece users from both camps. It's not really my engraving studio / bunker.

Sam .. thank-you for the links. Bob is quite an artisan and what he did with that Magnum is proof of it's power. In the end, this will all come down to available funds.

I will undoubtedly have to replace the piston in my 901 regardless of what I get.

Chris

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chris: I don't engrave really heavy stuff like Bob Finlay, nor do I engrave large things like motorcycle parts, so my handpieces don't get the abuse some engravers put on theirs. What I can tell you is that before the 901 was released to the public, it survived an unbelievable torture test of running 24/7 at approximately 3/4 throttle on a Gravermax for months. This is probably the equivalent of 10 lifetimes of use. The little air compressor powering the 'Max had to be rebuilt during this period because it wore out, and the handpiece was occasionally stopped and tested and measured for wear, which was negligible. So when I hear about worn pistons or boxes of worn parts, I can't help but wonder.

Choose whatever suits you best and enables you to perform at the top of your game.

~Sam

p.s. The stats on the torture test are to the best of my recollection.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I just got my Magnum back from GRS. Oh baby, what sweet tool. The guys and gals at GRS really made this
one well. Thank you, Pam J. with the GRS team for putting together a great tool.
I am one happy Scout and can't wait to run this through something big, wet, and heavy.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
While I don't do enough heavy cutting for my Magnum to see a lot of use, it's the one I turn to when I have to do serious excavation work. You can walk the dawg with the Magnum!