9 months in

Crowman80

9 months in and I feel Iam slowly starting to make some meaningful progress with my practice plates. Helped hugely by some time spent with an incredibly talented engraver who has pointed me in the right direction to hopefully one day in the future being “good enough” to engrave a gun. But in the mean time I must continue to learn & practice, practice, practice . IMG_4321.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4353.jpeg
    IMG_4353.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4360.jpeg
    IMG_4360.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 85

Flatsguide

Beautiful work, you are very fortunate to have a good mentor and vice versa. Can you go into a detail on your system of layout and guidelines. I’d be happy to have a gun engraved by you.
Thanks for sharing

Crowman80

Beautiful work, you are very fortunate to have a good mentor and vice versa. Can you go into a detail on your system of layout and guidelines. I’d be happy to have a gun engraved by you.
Thanks for sharing
Thanks. It’s not all that great yet but getting there. Layout is a bit chaotic I just delve into my head and see what comes out……!! I do draw a lot, not any particular designs but all English small scroll. It’s my true favourite. I hav been able to handle ALOT of fine English guns in my life time and I think something from each one has left a little note in my head. Then just draw rouch ideas straight onto the steel & when I’m happy scribe and cut. Dividers & an accurate rule help a lot as I’m a mathematical retard!!!
And as for doing a gun I’m nowhere near ready. My ambition is to walk into a particular gunmakers here in the uk in time and ask the most brutally honest man on the planet “is this good enough”? but that’s a lot of time away yet. Slowly and steadily for now. Appreciate the kind comments though

Flatsguide

My favorite also. In fact I really enjoy seeing and shooting English rifles of the late 18th century to about 1880’s. Just about finished building an English Sporting Rifle, flintlock ignition and have started on a Alexander Henry percussion target rifle around the 1870 period. Harry Kell would be proud of you.
Cheers Richard

Latest posts

Sponsors