61 Winchester with raised gold inlay.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I finally finished my raised gold project or quit screwing with it and sent it away. This was my first attempt at gold animals and I struggled. The inlay went well. I used what SamW told me about sculpting the inlay cavity when the wire was all smoothed together already had the form of the rabbits. Then the wheels came off trying to cut fine detail in soft gold. I had to cut 1 out and start over. I was using my 600 lap to sharpen. After a lot of frustration I came to the realization I wasn't really cutting the gold more smearing it around. Switched to a 3000 lap and that helped some. I learned a lot on this deal doing it twice.
Thanks, Leland

Attachments

• FINISHED61 RABBITS (2).jpeg
    FINISHED61 RABBITS (2).jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 160

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I like it, the rabbits fur almost looks like it’s raised or rather textured with a punch,,,, I’m doing a rabbit in Silver (my first) and I too am struggling to get it to look right. It looks different now than in picture, still working on it… because of the difficulty I procrastinated to do last.
For your first I think you did really good.

IMG_4946.jpeg

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I finally finished my raised gold project or quit screwing with it and sent it away. This was my first attempt at gold animals and I struggled. The inlay went well. I used what SamW told me about sculpting the inlay cavity when the wire was all smoothed together already had the form of the rabbits. Then the wheels came off trying to cut fine detail in soft gold. I had to cut 1 out and start over. I was using my 600 lap to sharpen. After a lot of frustration I came to the realization I wasn't really cutting the gold more smearing it around. Switched to a 3000 lap and that helped some. I learned a lot on this deal doing it twice.
Thanks, Leland
Nice work, I like the texture on the rabbits, scroll classic for a Cowboy gun imho.

Last edited:

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I like it, the rabbits fur almost looks like it’s raised or rather textured with a punch,,,, I’m doing a rabbit in Silver (my first) and I too am struggling to get it to look right. It looks different now than in picture, still working on it… because of the difficulty I procrastinated to do last.
For your first I think you did really good.

View attachment 51790
Observation, not criticism. I’ve always thought of the buttplate as a working surface, brought up to the shoulder 1000’s of times, set down on the ground albeit lightly, leaned up against a tree. I would think the inlay & engraving would be worn fairly quickly. Customer should be happy.nice work.
kent

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you… it’s a Rem .32 rimfire long/short, unless it’s converted I doubt it will get too much shoulder time but yes not a typical place for raised inlay.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for the comments. When blown up like the photo it looks way rougher than actual size. The biggest rabbit can be covered with a nickel.
Jeff I don't know about you but I'm trying all dots next time. If you figure this out let me know.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it’s a Rem .32 rimfire long/short, unless it’s converted I doubt it will get too much shoulder time
I've got one of those that I was going to get converted, but never got around to it. It's been sitting in pieces for years. The receiver was fairly pitted and I had started cleaning it up, but it got set aside and forgotten........to many projects.....too old to finish them all.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
So much to do….so little time. I feel your pain. My trouble has always been my interests are all over the place. Be a really a cool Sunday plinker if convert to a caliber in centerfire. Guessing 32 rimfire is scarce.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I've got one of those that I was going to get converted, but never got around to it. It's been sitting in pieces for years. The receiver was fairly pitted and I had started cleaning it up, but it got set aside and forgotten........to many projects.....too old to finish them all.
Same here, it’s not too difficult though to move the firing pin but not a project I want to do at this point.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I think that there is a kit that allows you to load 32 rimfire. I think the kit includes a case that allows you to put a 22 rf blank in the base as a primer. If you want to shoot it that would be the way to go. Converting it would be costly. Try Dixie Gunworks to see if they have the kit.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Guessing the engraving was costly as well. For me, i would want to use it. To each his own.

Sponsors