57 dollar engraving vise for noobs or the money..

Tomyboy

.... impaired... lol

Anyway trying to make an engraving vise for a while now and always hit a brick wall,until i read somewhere on here of using a 4 jaw chuck that can be bought for 50ish dollars "used" by going to machinery shops and such..

Seems fate smiled on me when i read that post... think it was in the bench set up thread... cause the next day i saw on craigslist.com in my city a guy was selling one for exactly 50, get this he lived 5 blocks from me.

Anyway i first tried to glue it on a bowling ball.. bad idea to big, so i tried a dollar store aluminum bowl, only cause i know the weight of the grs small block vise and figured a bowl would work with lead or somthing on the bottom. No dice, it worked alright but no where near as good as the real thing, to much effort rotating it with my left hand forcing me to use the right to make the cuts,,, big no no if you want clean cuts.

So, in my earlier efforts trying to make a power hone i found out that a vcr head is a perfect bearing, but couldnt figure out how to make it work and thus it sat on my floor for ages gathering dust untill ... ding!!!a light bulb over the head moment!!!

1... get a 4 jaw chuck cheap as you can / pic.....http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lathe2wy1.jpg

2....get a vcr head.... lol people leave them in the garbage, you can find one anywhere, pic of it///
http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=800pxvhsheaddrum1me3.jpg

3....get an aluminum bowl from anywhere smaller the better preferably with no outward pointing rim like mine that stops the bowl from positioning at a lower angle. Drill a hole dead center in the bottom of it big enough for the center pin of the bottom part of the vcr head to fit in. pic // http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0006gn6.jpg

4....Get some duct tape and roll up some newspaper to make a donut for the base. pic/// http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0004kh3.jpg

5....get some five min mix epoxy. mix it up and put the bowl in the donut drop the bottom part of the vcr head so the pin fits into the hole ... with some mixed glue smeared on it "mix it on some tinfoil with a q tip with the cotton pulled off" set it in the hole... if you centered the hole it shouldn't be a problem latter. Next
put some epoxy on the bottom of the chuck it should fit over the vcr head easily ... heres the hard part... centering it by eye the best you can. Give it five mins to set, now you can start engraving with it after five mins but... nothing heavy.. really meant for jewelry or practice plates. pic end result//// http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0003wn0.jpg

5...This part is meant for jewelry stuff or people who want to work on flat work that can be forged latter. saw a piece of wood in a circle big enough for the style of work you want to do.. then bolt on a back part that can be vised to the chuck ....i.e./// http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0008xb5.jpg
then go to any jewelry supply shop in your area and buy some sealing wax ... 13dollars for four sticks for me,
and melt one stick on it. Im sorry i forgot to say that when you drill the holes for the the bolts in the wood, that you widen the holes so the bolt is below the face of the board, so the work is flush to the board. pic///
http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0012zj4.jpg

6.... a video showing the effort of one finger spinning the board vid// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwb_PcupVuc

if i forgot somthing ill post it latter... i just wanted to give back to this forum that has helped me so much.

oyea if you want to move the angle of the bowl part more easily than the stickiness of the duct tape put some cloth over the donut.....moves faster just make sure you don't drop the ball or your gonna end up glueing everthing that broke.

Last edited:

Tomyboy

i need feed back, is this crap or what? lol

i think its pretty effective for noobs who can then upgrade to the real deal when they make some money.

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for posting your idea - it's very clever. :) It certainly looks like it would work to get people started with a rotational vise.

Tomyboy

Thanks for posting your idea - it's very clever. :) It certainly looks like it would work to get people started with a rotational vise.

thanks... i posted this after a week of working with it... and ive made 3 rings and a bracelet an am working on another ring and bracelet.

just from having the easy spin of the bearing ... its made my work 50 percent easier, and way faster.

i just hope noobs will at least try it before blowing 700 on a proper block

anyway its 500 times better than a a jam jar with a board bolted to it and a duck tape donut , even though ive made a living with that set up

Last edited:

Tomyboy

I too think it is quite clever. Quite frugal, but looks like it would "work". Too bad you couldn't get the bowling ball to work. Did you manage to slice it?

im a noob... so i thought i could just glue it on the ball, stupid..... i looked into slicing it but im dirt poor compared to you pros... so i thought a bowl would work cause this chuck is almost the same wieght as the grs small block.

anyway in the video it looks wonkey only cause its off side not off level.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd throw that donut away and go to Lowes and in the section where they have plumbing they have these plastic donuts that are chamfered like the ones that come with a ball vise. It would be slicker and cause less friction when you want to move it around. I can't remember what they're for but the one I saw was black and nearly identical in shape to the real thing on my magnablock. Mine is a little tire.

Tomyboy

I'd throw that donut away and go to Lowes and in the section where they have plumbing they have these plastic donuts that are chamfered like the ones that come with a ball vise. It would be slicker and cause less friction when you want to move it around. I can't remember what they're for but the one I saw was black and nearly identical in shape to the real thing on my magnablock. Mine is a little tire.

never mind the donut ... is it good for noobs with no cash?? thats all i want to know

i mean cause its like i say.. its a 57 dollar vise no real machine work just easy build and ready to go.

its meant for light work knives blah blah blah ... light work no heavy gun stuff... keep that in mind you pros.

Last edited:

Tomyboy

anyways im not hurt by true feelings, if you think its crap say so ... i was just trying to help nothing more or less

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Tomyboy did you get the whole lathe or just the chuck? If you got the the lathe you could have use the spindle off of it. Just a thought.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
57 dollar vise

my first ball vise was a bowling ball. the top was machined flat on a milling machine. and i affixed small vises and fixture plates onto the flat top or sunk them into a .5" hole drilled dead cener into the ball. this served me well until i learned how to wrangle grocery money for a magna block ! there are times, even to this day,:rolleyes: i will still resort to using the bowling ball beast for certain jobs. ;)

shonn

vice stand i made

made a vice stand out of a old chair i got in the trash, i cut off the top and weilded on a plate and screwed on a round board it works good just a small bit of slop but it turns ok for now.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
never mind the donut ... is it good for noobs with no cash?? thats all i want to know

If it works - more importantly if it works for you - then it's good, surely?

I'd started accumulating parts for a home-built vice when I managed to buy a second-hand one on EBay, so things like the bottom end of a steel dive cylinder I'll probably use as a pitchbowl when I get around to cutting it. Otherwise I'd be doing something similar.

Karl Carvalho

Aloha

I make pitch cups from cutoff ring sections of heavy-duty copper pipe (3-4"+), thick copper sheet (10-14G) and copper buss bar (for the T-bar). You could find this stuff at a copper slavager and assemble in an hour. Just need a good torch, lots of flux and thin brazing rod. Made to clamp in a block. Easy enough that I have a half dozen or so in different flavors of pitch.

Karl

Attachments

• pitchcup1.jpg
    pitchcup1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 105

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tomyboy,
I like the vice. Two suggestions.

Go to the jewellery supply and buy a peg vice. $27.00 Separate the head form the handle.
You can mount the head in the vice jaws and you have a peg vice like most engraving balls.

Using Tim's idea of the plumbing base. To prevent it form slipping around to much.
Use electricians tape in four place where it contacts the bowl. You can also use the tape
as a cushion on the main jaw of the vice to prevent things your engraving form slipping.

In my book, "It isn't how you get there that counts, but the results".
Good idea.:cool:

Jim

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
anyways im not hurt by true feelings, if you think its crap say so ... i was just trying to help nothing more or less

I merely mentioned it because it was cheap ( a few bucks) and it would move smoothly. But, like you say that part may not be available where a given person lives but you could probably get duct tape ("Alabama Chrome":D ) anywhere. You're a regular McGuyver.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I love seeing a plan come together like this, and now I can't believe I just threw out a VCR head a few months back. Lathe chucks are extremely useful for purposes other than their intended use. I have a dozen of them with different configurations. Someone mentioned the peg clamp, too. I agree that by removing the peg and mounting it, you can rig up an engraver's vise. There are so many items out there perfect for newbies and pros that don't cost and arm and a leg. Half the fun is creating them. I have some pretty cool rigs in my shop revolving around engraving dies and coins, but many of them could be converted for other kinds of engraving. The thing about lathe chucks is they don't have to be pretty, I usually end up buying the older ones for practicality and economic reasons. The four jaw independent is a good one, and so is a six. I also like scrolling chucks in three and six jaw. Most chucks have keys for tightening, but there are some that have a ring, which is handy for the engraver. The micro chucks are nice too, they are available with most of the features of the larger ones and you can get them keyless too. I should mention that there are lathe chucks specifically made for square or rectangular work, these have two long jaws. jaws for chucks in most cases are hard steel, but soft jaws are available for many chucks. I have adapted many of the chucks I use by milling the top of the jaws to the shape I need, not an easy thing if the steel is hard. I would recommend leaving this to a machine shop unless you have the equipment. For you coin carvers, another nice chuck to use is an 5C collet holder. Either get a step collet or have a collet lathed or milled to hold the coin you want then simply tighten it in the holder. Soft collets are available in 5C too. 5C collet holders are available in vertical or horizontal, then you can mount them however you want. If you want to spend more money you can get a 5C holder to mont on your bench that tilts and spins. These complex holders will also index too. Sorry to stray a bit here, but I really liked how creative the post was and wanted to share how useful I find chucks to be. Steve Adams

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tomyboy, ..........I can't fault anyone wanting to save money. I'm poor too by modern standards, and didn't have any other choice most of the time. I wonder how the young folks can afford anything today getting started. I think as long as it works and doesn't restrict your potential, more power to you. I admire your inventiveness. The necessary thing being the freedom of very easy movement in rotation and a means to lock the mechanism for chisel work if you do any of that. Another thing would be its ability to hold about any shape and size article the engravers vise will hold and you can make gizmos to do that. Smooth, easy rotation is essential for the hand engraver. Tilt is important for the all around engraver who sits to work too. Flexibility is important. Microscope users are somewhat restricted in their movements and posture, particularly those who wear glasses. It gets in my way and interferes with my speed, but that is not so important unless you are doing it occupationally and competing with someone else who is. The "trade" aspects ar quite different from the artistic/hobby approach. Your tools and techniques will vary considerably under each of these catgories, but I say if it works, don't knock it. You will add onto it and change it as needed.............Hope this helps you get set up for whatever engraving you intend to do..............forward!.................Ron S

michael_e

i need feed back, is this crap or what? lol

Tomyboy, that is really funny ! Another fine use of America's premier building material....duct tape. You only need one thing to complete this picture and that's baling wire. Is it crap ? Heck no, not if it works O.K. Is it art ? Oh yeah ! Two thumbs up on this one !

Michael E.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
If anyone out there has ever watched the Red Green show, then you'll have a real appreciation for the duct tape engraver's vise donut. Old Red would be proud.

Latest posts

Sponsors