Question: 4/0 Polish paper

Don Butler

Where can a person get 4/0 polish paper or do they make it any more? I ordered some from Rio Grande that was advertised as 4/0 paper but it is 2000 grit. Sure didn't put a polish on my old Mueller gravers. Thanks.

Don

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Not for sure what type graver you are polishing, but if it is for bright cut gravers the 50,000 grit does a nice job. Rio Grande sells 6" psa backed discs for use on a power hone, and most likely sells it in sheet form. I bought my sheet from Lee Valley.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I have used the 3-M Diamond disks that you can purchase from Rio Grande. I cut a 6 " circle of plexiglas and center drill 1/2 " hole, apply PSA disk and cut out center hole with pocket knife. I have used the same disks since about 2000. They will still polish carbide.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I also use NAPA micro finishing sheets size 8 micron. They are also 2000 grit, have used the NAPA and ones from Car Quest has a 3-M. I get a better polish with the NAPA brand. This is what I finish my brite cut flat with. Part # RF-700 8 Micron 2000 grit from NAPA.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I use a small piece of 2000 grit for polishing gravers, i just rub lead on the paper from a carpenters pencil.
The lead fills up the microscopic pores making the paper much finer & gives a decent shine.
Carbide might be abit of an effort but it certainly works for hss/m42 material.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look for Norton brand Emory paper. Just about all the jewelry tool supply houses sell it. Gesswein, rosenthal, stuller, ect...

We buy these papers in boxes of 100, from Gesswein. But you can also order them by the sheet.

Just google norton abrasive emery paper and you will find all kinds of sources

Don Butler

Thanks everybody. You've given me several sources to look into that I hadn't thought of. Again, Thanks
Don

Latest posts

Sponsors