.375 North American Game Rifle

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
This is a .375 H&H John Bolliger Custom Winchester I recently completed for our mutual client. The client's artistic objective was to dedicate the engraving theme to his love of the hunting in Alaska and Canada. Much of the fine line technique used on the animals was a result of my experiences and learning during Alain Lovenberg's Grand Masters class last October. Prior to his class I was entirley concentrated on Italian bulino, but after the Lovenberg class I've made a major shift in the way I work. I find that the fine line techniques are more appealing to me as a way to build animal form and shape.

http:
[img]http://fototime.com/52ED016A7700245/standard.jpg
This photo shows how the first layers of line work start to form the various muscle groups of the Moose's body. But notice also that I have used bulino dots to shape and shade the antlers. The more technique you develop - in this case fine line and bulino - the easier it becomes to create life form.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Mike. I like how you incorporated the fleurs from the metal work into the engraving as well. I also like the hard to do "roll off" border on the grip cap too!
Rex

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Learn something from you?

No Marty Moose, but I did use your ACGG gun for inspiration on the bear/moose kill scene - just changed the expression on the bear's face a little!

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Mike. I like how you incorporated the fleurs from the metal work into the engraving as well. I also like the hard to do "roll off" border on the grip cap too!
Rex

Rex: ...thanks, the fluers are also used to compliment and mirror Bolliger's fleur stock checkering patterns. I just returned it to John, maybe later we can get photo of the entire gun to see how it all works together.
Mike

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty Moose... I like that!
I would like to see a completed photo as well as others of the gun.
Rex

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You must have been deprived of TV as a kid Marty..
It was Rocky J Squirrel and Marty Moose was the mascot of Wally World in Vacation.
It's sad I can remember that but not the important stuff!!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
no no no Rex............"Rocket J" was the proper name for Rocky as in Rocky and Bullwinkle

Now we need a good Boris and Natasha

I nominate Mike D

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I stand corrected. Rocket was his "proper" name.
And.. Mike.. Sorry for the hijack of the thread. Get more pics up.
Rex

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Moose's and Squirrel's

I was already part of the work force when all of this animal talk stated...no time for Saturday morning TV, so you guys will have to decide on your own pet names.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Rilfe Action

Andrew:

Thanks, that's another of John's resurrected Pre 64 M70 Winchester actions...new bottom metal, custom fitted bases and rings, and a mid-weight barrel with integral rib, sling boss and ramp front site. And, of course, extended tangs on the action and bottom metal. Engravers can't really afford such exotic rifles like this, but it's fun to be to engrave them!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ummm. alls i gotta say is, that's just smackin great looking work ! thanks very much for showing this, mike.

Latest posts

Sponsors