Question: 30 GA 24kt Gold wire

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Im looking for some 30GA wire but Rio only goes to 28GA.

Ive tried drawing, given up on something that thin.

suggestions for suppliers?

Thanks

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if you're having trouble drawing wire that size you're either doing something wrong or you're using cheap dies. with high quality carbide dies and proper technique you should have no problem going down to half that diameter, .005". go thru the tips archive and make sure you watch Chris DeCamillis' video on rolling a fine taper on the wire end.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My drawplate goes to 28ga and then I have a single 30 gauge drawing die. It's trickier than drawing thicker wire, that's for sure. And I'm sure my technique could be better, but I'm able to get it drawn despite a few breaks. The jump from 28 to 30 is kind of big and I wish there was an in-between size die which there probably is. If you send me a piece of 28 I'll draw it down for you.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
one quick hint: don't try to draw more than 5-6" of the very fine stuff, even less is better. it's unlikely you'll need much anyway and it's a lot easier working with short pieces.

i bought my dies from Gesswein in the early '80s and they're wonderful. the large plate has 24 holes from about .040"-.010 and the small has 10 holes from .0095-.0047 (i mic'd them years ago). probably yet another thing you can't get anymore at any price, even way back then the pair ran about $300...

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is an old thread on here to tell you how to double your wire in two and pull it down. so if you want small wire for inlay you can get two pieces for the price of one. I believe that John B. posted it years ago and I have tried it with moderate success.

mobaiz

Hey Carlos,
Here's a link to getting 30 guage 24k gold wirehttp://sale-fire.com/24k%20Gold%20Wire?p=gtp&sf=48&gclid=CjwKEAjw3YipBRDL2bHhjLmFkQsSJADtzktj5Md-H4V_ZrdQOH9rbAmHRKAyOGHu3KaN6LWXLfBmchoCrc3w_wcB Hope this helps.

Mo

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all, I bought my draw plate on rio grand, cost around 120, if I remember correctly, its a carbide, just keep breaking the tip as I pull.

Sam that sounds like a plan, thank you.

my draw plate

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Those $300+ drawplates ain't made in China... look at your own signature tag line...

When you get your silver soldering setup, and then learn how to use it - you can make up a special set of pliers with lined jaws to pull your own wire.

(and "pull your own chain", as a matter of fact. Hardly anybody on here is gonna know that that is true unless they've made round chain from scratch.)

Not being a "maker" has limitations...

Brian

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I bought it, long time ago, I thought it was good, for the price. But I guess theres more expensive ones, Brian you wouldn't have one for sale?

Saludos,
Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Long time ago? Less than 2 whole years on the forum ain't a long time ago... and I'm pretty sure you didn't get around to gettin' one the first year?

Nope. Don't have a good one at all anymore.

Someone decided they liked it better'n I did. (I'm pretty sure I know who it was. Good thing he isn't on this forum)

Left me with a classroom version just like yours. Doubt I'll get around to gettin' me a good one anymore...

Brian

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I would have known then what I know now I would have bought a better one. Called Rio Grande explained my situation told them its in like new condition or probably new condition they're sending me a return label and sending it back for credit, which one do you recommend I want a high quality that will last me forever with no issues from Rio Grande.

Great customer service! If you need anything definitely buy from Rio Grande.

Saludos,
Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Long time ago? Less than 2 whole years on the forum ain't a long time ago

Brian

It is in dog years;) you know me Brian I buy things knowing I'm going to use them in the future, there's no stopping me, the sky's the limit.

Need a good, no, the best draw plate.

Saludos,
Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your time and mine definitely aren't of the same realm, planet, universe or whatever...

I noticed that the first time I visited your website, that you described yourself as a "professional engraver" - and now today you're not?

What's up with that?

Brian

A long time ago (in your reality) I thought you said you were a full time school teacher?

Last edited:

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Carlos,

I think Brian actually hit on the real problem in his first message in this post. If you're breaking the tip of the wire, it sounds more like a problem with the draw tongs being too coarse and damaging the wire, thus causing the fail. Brian wasn't kidding about customizing the draw tongs. It can make a huge difference.

Good luck,
Doug

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,
I have the same draw plate you do and it works fine. You need to know how to anneal wire properly first and put the right taper on the end to poke through far enough to get the proper pliers on it and pull straight through. If your taper is too steep it'll just break off, make a longer taper. Don't go sending things back that most likely will do what they're supposed to, instead, learn to used them before you give up on em'.

Go make some money using what you have and upgrade to the mack daddy draw plate later, it CAN be done with what you have, you just have to WANT to. "Can't" cannot be in your vocabulary, I got faith in ya.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors