2024 Engrosser's Script Program (aka "Engraver's Script")

Masgrimes

Hello Engravers!

My name is David Grimes. I am a penman and calligrapher from Oregon, USA. I lurk around the forum here and enjoy reading about all of your projects and gleaning what I can from your work in the vein of script engraving. I feel our disciplines are intertwined.

Here is a sample of my script writing. This is produced with a steel pen on paper:

Grimes_DIS_penmanship_adventure_sharing.jpg

I am writing to let you all know that my annual program covering this style of writing known as "Engrosser's Script" is now underway. It begins each April and enrollment is only open for a limited time. I expect that learning to write this style of script may be of benefit to those of you who wish to engrave script, and I hoped to share a link to my online program for your consideration.

Here are some more images of the work above, taken with a camera rather than a direct scan. Hoping they are pleasing to you.

—David

to_all_to_whom_masgrimes.jpg

3.jpg 2.jpg

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Shouldn't this should be under the buy, sell, trade section of this website that is available for paying supporters of the website to list such?

Masgrimes

Hey @AllenClapp,

I was under the impression that this type of post would be acceptable here based the "Advertising" portion of this thread:

I believe that the "Buy & Sell" section is specifically set aside for tools.

Thoughts?

Masgrimes

Do they teach penmanship in schools today? I got A's in penmanship. J.J.

They don't teach cursive penmanship everywhere in the United States, but there are some places that they still do. For example, California Gov. Newsom just signed a 2023 bill bringing it back to CA public school:

Last edited:

mark_hickler

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I took David's live class several years ago when he came to Tucson. I had tried learning on my own, but after I took the class, I understood how letters in this style are constructed. I still refer to my class material when I get stuck on some aspect of engraved script.

mark_hickler

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
@Masgrimes, Here's a flask. It's pewter, so the cuts are a little mushy.
I engrave a lot of banjo parts. "Whiskey Before Breakfast" is the name of a fiddle tune that a lot of banjo players know.
If you want to see someone who cuts script with ridiculous precision, look up Kai Simola on Facebook. He has a ton of script engraving videos.

flask_photo.jpg

Masgrimes

@Masgrimes, Here's a flask. It's pewter, so the cuts are a little mushy.
I engrave a lot of banjo parts. "Whiskey Before Breakfast" is the name of a fiddle tune that a lot of banjo players know.
If you want to see someone who cuts script with ridiculous precision, look up Kai Simola on Facebook. He has a ton of script engraving videos.

View attachment 52826
Looking good, Mark! It's a pleasure to see your script.

Latest posts

Sponsors