2 nickels (with and w/o scope)

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Attached are 2 nickels that I have finished during the last 2 months. (I am glad the end-of-year business stuff is over at regular job.)

The lady I completed with visor only. I thought it was not great, but passable, and a little improvement over the last one.

I got a microscope last month, set it up and took another look at lady. Ouch!

I have been practicing engraving with the microscope. Being able to see really well is fantastic. What you CAN see with the scope can be discouraging. And, my feeble mind found the chip that grows in front of the graver tip to be mesmerizing so... besides the other things that I am adjusting to, I have had to practice ignoring the chip.:eek: I am a little intimidated but getting through it because I know it will help my engraving improve.

One Unqualified Success was the Hobo Nickel Studio. Thank you very much KCSteve for the instructions here on the forum. :tiphat:

Trouble spots... your thoughts/sugggestions valued.

1-I learned that I am too heavy handed so I thought I would 'recut' a 1936 indian head nickel. I adjusted and tweeked the entire nickel; some came out clearer and some not so much. One of the pictures shows an uncut nickel and mine together. I spent a shameful amount of time on it and you can not tell it from looking.

2-I tried to blend into the "LIBERTY" for a week and could not get it. Finally I scrubbed it clean. Felt good but still a let down.

3-Not having a lot of finesse with the stampmakers stones. Kind of like heavy duty Botox and I loose a lot of detailed cutting. I have the 1/4th inch sticks and have used an old heavy file to shape them but still hit other areas also. I ended up recutting the face after stoning the first time.

4-The little things you see in the photo that I did not see when I decided I was finished (area needs cleaned in the cleft of the chin). :(

Any and all critique is welcome and appreciated. - Candy

Attachments

• cjt-lady-040310-72dpi.jpg
    cjt-lady-040310-72dpi.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 151
  • cjt-indians-s-b-s-050210-72dpi.jpg
    cjt-indians-s-b-s-050210-72dpi.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 142
  • cjt-indians-050210-72dpi.jpg
    cjt-indians-050210-72dpi.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 154

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
I think you did good on both a lot better than I could have seen with an optivisor on the first one and your second one looks like he got sent to what's that place? Glamor Shots:big grin: great makeover!!!

Kevin

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Fine job, Candy.
Your recut of the Indian is remarkably well done.
One thing you might consider is to cut some "inter-strands" of finer hair on the lady somewhat as you did on the Indian. Lighter cuts between the heavier layer cuts.
Just a thought.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
They look great, you can sell them today on ebay for good money...... The recut indian looks good. taking the liberty off doesn't kill the coin. Yours is done reeally nice with killer hair. I have cut many with and without liberty and even cut off the dates and they always sell, some say it should be a full horn mint coin but I have had others that don't care. If you look at it as just a nickel and have fun carving, no matter how it turns out you are learning to better engrave.
Keep carving have fun.
Keith

Andrew Biggs

Hi Candy

You've done a wonderful job. The indian is great!!!

Yes, to what John B has said. It'll give it more life.

It takes time to get used to the scope. Don't worry about everything being perfect under magnification as you will see every tiny imperfection. After a while you'll learn to look through your scope and be able to judge the "human eye" factor........in other words, be able to see what it looks like to the naked eye.

Yes, you can plainly see that you have spent a lot of time on these coins.....that's why they look good. :)

Don't worry about the time factor when you are learning all this stuff. Concentrate on quality.........the time factor will take care of itself with more experience. As Keith said........have fun with it .

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great job on the nickels - both of them!

Using your scope you'll learn to see things you can't quite see with the visor and the cool thing is that you'll learn how to kind of see them without the scope. Things like shading and getting an area flat - with the scope you can see what you're doing. Once you learn it, you can then see if it's right or not without the scope. The old-timers had to learn to see when it was right without the assist, just like they had to learn to sharpen by hand. It's good to live in the future, isn't it? ;)

The hardest thing to get used to for me was the 'always looking straight down' POV the scope gives - kept wanting to look at it from the side. That and trying to blow the chips off.

Glad you like the HNS. I was inspired by Roland Baptise and his use of a milk jug as a mini-macro studio. My contribution was realizing that with a small lensed camera you could also use it for the camera support.

When you list your coins on eBay make sure you mention that your first one is your first one (put it in the title). Had trouble finding the 'Reserve' option - you have to select the form with more options to get it.

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for helpful tips and encouragement. They help me improve my skills.

We all lead busy lives and I appreciate your responses here and on other posting. I learn a lot from them and have started a 3 ring binder to hold posts and responses that are of particular interest to me.

Latest posts

Sponsors