2 handpieces die in 3 days

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My brand new maestro ex died Friday night my 901 died tonight. I have work coming out my... And can't engrave anything...

Hope GRS can get me up in running fast!

Anyone have any GRS equipment you'd like to sell or rent?

I'm dead in the water!!!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The pistons won't move in the barrels. Totally stripped them down, cleaned, reassembled... Repeatedly... And a few more times to make sure.

I'm dead in the water. A friend is going to loan me a setup of a machine, but its a different machine. I am thankful, but I hope GRS can turn this around fast.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The pistons won't move in the barrels. Totally stripped them down, cleaned, reassembled... Repeatedly... And a few more times to make sure.

I'm dead in the water. A friend is going to loan me a setup of a machine, but its a different machine. I am thankful, but I hope GRS can turn this around fast.
Hi Beat, I am going to ask a stupid question, are you sure you don't have the piston in backwards? just a thought.
I have 10,000 hours on my 901 easy, and it always works, except when I put it together backwards.
Good luck!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, talked to Rex on the phone for an hour trying to get the maestro working. The piston goes in easy for a certain distance then it gets stuck. Still moves when you push it with a pencil, but too tight with air...

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do you drain your compressor regularly? It sounds to me like you might have rust in the bore. Just thought and take it for what it is worth. Fred

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Drain it everyday. Bore perfectly clean and shiny. Cleaned with acetone. White glove test, no dirt or oil.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I upgraded the speed of my old Miester the hand piece would get so hot I was always afraid or it seizing up the piston. I had to warp the darn thing in VetWrap/self vulcanizing rubber tape to hold it. Never a problem with the piston. Two in two days it just about has to be compressor related. maybe the foot peddle is the problem. Sure interested in solution. After many many years with my old Miester I went first with the Lindsay classic then got a GraverMach 8 on top of that for daughters bench. Have no hand piece issues with anything Good luck and keep us posted

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've never had a handpiece failure since I my acquired my first used Gravermax setup in 1989. For you to smoke 2 handpieces in 3 days baffles the hell out of me. Based on what you told me about your work I know you're pushing them a lot harder than I do, but something just doesn't sound right.

Is the machine sending air pulses as it should?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I also remember DJ Glaser's pre-production 901 torture test where he ran a 901 really hard continuously 24/7 for several months, stopping it occasionally to measure piston wear. The small air compressor it was connected to had to be rebuilt twice, but the handpiece continued to work perfectly. He probably put 10 lifetimes of use on this pre-production handpiece.

So again, something just doesn't sound right. There must be oil contamination or something.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
If you send it back to grs send them your gravermax or main unit may it is something wrong with the unit I dont think you have won something if they send you an new handpiece and its damaged after 2 days again
best wishes
chris

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree compressor has contaminated your system, get an oilless compressor, you can send out your old system to get fixed but once it comes back in you'll be dealing with the same issue of the compressor.

Saludos,

Carlos

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh BTW I am sure this is on me and not GRS. My house is the place power tools go to die.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Not ever having one of these handpieces or used the same, but from my handpieces with my Gravermeister which never have developed a problem, what you'd mentioned about the 'pencil pushing in the piston, with everything clean', suggests a dimensional problem and not necessarily a contamination problem. At least, at that point, as you weren't using your compressor. SEEMS as if, at the point of sticking, there is a micron-sized belly, or ever so slight reduction in diameter, of the bore and the air & especially possible contaminant, at point of use, just jams everything up. If the maker laps the bore, perhaps a quality control issue arises, as one would think that the free fit of piston/bore would prevail throughout the entire travel of the piston. I believe you mentioned everything was clean at that point? This is just my thinking, based upon what you said. If you had hard chromed bore gauges, as I do, which are a common tool, the ever so slight differences in diameter would be felt. It's just a thought, but I don't know if the maker would mention this to you, as it disfavors their quality control procedures. Just looks like you'll need to do detective work. . .the answer to the problem would be interesting. Keep us informed.

Latest posts

Sponsors