1911 Slide in progress

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After redrawing this design with some help from you guys, I was extremely pleased with how it looked. A few days ago I sat down to do some touch up on shading and a few flat spots, and staring back at me was a leaf that breaks all the rules we had worked on. It went unnoticed by everyone on the re draw but since I was hunting critically I realized right off. The small leaf going against the starter scroll.
So I'm throwing my mistake out there so I, and anyone else can learn from it. Here's the hard question to you guys with serious experience. Since there's no tactful way to cut my way out of this one, that leaves repair. (And a nightmare repair at that) Is it worth it being only a couple of millimeters in size or do I call it a learning experience and move on. I haven't even been able to look at it again to do the touch ups
Funny that with all the letting I do which requires double and triple checking, I didn't notice this.
I'll take all advice. . I'm comfortable enough here now that you guys can wail away on me.
Layne IMG_1770.jpg

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You know I can't help you out on this Layne, but beside that minor mistake it is beautiful scrolwork.
Is the job done yet or do the end of the scrolls have to be filled in?
Is it allright with you that I copy this scroll for study purpose?
By now I know I learn a lot of mistakes.....:beatup:
I see here the KISS theory in real, nothing overdone and a nice flow.

And here I see very clearly what Shawn meant in his comment on my scroll drawing , as you explaned to me.

Last edited:

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Good morning Layne

I'd leave it lie also. You cut it well and shaded nicely and unless you point it out to your customer they will probably never notice it. I can not tell you the times that I have worried over the little mistakes that I know that are there but nobody else notices. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and keep on truckin, that is a good looking job.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the support fellas. I worry more now realizing that good engraving is no longer held up to just the scrutiny of the naked eye. We work under microscopes and that work is blown up larger than life on a computer screen for all to see. Yes, it's meant to be looked at eyes only. But I think we do have to cut to a higher standard because of the modern way of showing and examining this work.
Hard lessons are the ones that sink in best I suppose. Now if someone can help me figure out a way to shade the ends of these scrolls that looks good blown up 10 times, I'll be a happy man!
(tongue planted in cheek)
Layne Z.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh and Willem, feel free to copy this for study. There is no Layne signature stamp on this. I can't do anything that hasn't been cut a thousand times before. That day is a long way away.
Layne

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Looks great to me, I wouldn't touch a thing and I wouldn't worry about it. Frank Hendricks once told me don't get hung up on the Quote " Rules that should be followed in engraving". He said if we all followed them all the time we would never progress in our creativity and achieve our finest works. A great man and greater engraver.

Latest posts

Sponsors