18th century style wood flute with engraved rings and key

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been keeping my powder dry for a while, although some may have seen pictures, but now that the current Engraver issue has just arrived on my doorstep, including an article about this flute, I feel at liberty to post photos here.

Briefly, I made the flute last year, and it was bought by a Swiss chemist from Zurich. I was hoping he might have been a Swiss banker! However, it changed hands for $5000, and the new owner tells me that it is playing very well. The wood is grenadilla, sometimes called African Blackwood. It can play at three different pitches, A415, A430, and A440 by interchanging the middle joints. It is best suited to the music of Bach, Handel, Haydn and early Mozart.

Rod

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 176
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 173
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 175

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rod,I got my copy of the new issue of the Engraver yesterday and read your article on your beautiful flutes,keep up the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What a beauty, Rod! And what a nice article in The Engraver! Thanks for sharing your amazing work with us.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for your kind remarks, dear colleagues!

Bill, the engravings are on sterling silver, with 24k gilding in my engraving cuts, done in the manner I described in issue 96 of the 'Engraver'.

Rod

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Dave, Mark, and Bill!

Bill, you are doing well with your bright silver work. You should have a go with some gilded cuts, it is kinda fun, just follow the procedure I wrote in Issue 96.

Dave, I did so enjoy your posting of the fly reel, beautifully done, and good approach to add the solid silver disc for engraving.

Mark, what have you been up to recently?

best

Rod

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Rod

I have a project that is coming up and this style would fit nicely I have allot of reading and experimenting to do I hope is things go well I will post some pictures of what i come up with. I hope you do not mind my asking more questions as I go sometimes things in writing are hard for me to comprehend. I will do my best

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, one and all!

You are very kind.

Just delivered a flute to your neighbourhood, Marcus, the player lives in Oxford. Wish I could get back to the Cotswolds again, but I am at it non-stop. The all boxwood flute is a French design from 1680, going to a symphony player who likes to also play early flute chamber music in St Louis, and the other goes to Oregon. Last week's flute just reached Cremona. Funny thing is, when I ask the player what engraving design they wish, everyone seems to choose the same pattern?

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5532.jpg
    IMG_5532.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: