1849 pocket kit gun

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I haven't posted for awhile, so I am jumping in with a long winded, multi-picture thread. It starts out sad, but ends well, I think. In July of 2011, my father's younger brother died. (that's the sad part) My uncle was a gun collector of sorts, collecting mostly handguns from gun shows and garage sales. His collection went to my cousin, who is the same age as I am. When we were going through my uncle's guns, we came across this..

1849 left.jpg 1849 right.jpg
A Coneticutt (sp???) Valley Arms kit gun of the Colt 1849 pocket. It had been assembled, but not timed, polished or finished in any way. I asked my cousin if he would ever finish it, and he said no. I asked if I could have it to finish. He said o.k. as long as I put his dad's name on it somewhere. I timed it, polished it, inlayed brass wire in the barrels, sent it to Doug Turnbull to be rust blued, and French greyed the scroll work. I also selectively nickel plated the scrolls on the brass areas. Hope you enjoy the results.

Gary's gun left.jpg Gary's gun right W F.jpg Gary's gun backstrap.jpg Gary's gun left W F.jpg Gary's gun right.jpg

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Ed,

Very nice pocket gun!!! When you say 'Selectively" nickel plated...can you kinda explain how you kept the rest of the brass from getting nickeled?

Donny

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When selectively plating an object, whether with copper, nickel, gold, etc., you have to mask off the areas you do not want plated. There are several masking fluids available, but I use black (I don't know why!!! :thinking: ) fingernail polish. (I guess it works on toenails too! :eek: ) just paint it on the areas you don't want to plate, and plate the areas you do! :clapping: It can be messy :mad:, and sometimes is very time consuming :(, but it's what you've got to do. :cool:

Chas

Great looking little pistol--really perked it up. But, I do have a question--in a couple of pictures, you show a loading lever, in others you don't? Did you manufacture the lever ...if so, really nice job.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chas,

No, I didn't manufacture the lever, what I did was buy a front end from Taylor's & Co. But when it came, the lower portion of the barrel extension below the lever lacked 0.50-0.75" of mating up, so I welded a plate to the bottom of the extension, filed the original profile back on it, and then engraved it.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice, I thought they were two different guns till I read the text. I thought, wow that second one is really cool, first one looks a little beat up and tired.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Chas. I will have to get pictures done of the presentation box I made for it. I made it out of a diversion book I had, and put in partitions for a small flask, bullet mold, caps, bullets, the gun and the spare front end. I think it came out quite cool! I'll try to get a photo done soon, but I'm not a great photog!

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I didn't do a lot of shading because I wanted the gun to be more in line with the kind of engraving you would have gotten in the 1840-50's period. Heavily shaded scroll work is a later 1800's improvement, and I didn't want that. (It's also easier!!!) Looking back at the pictures, I see that most of the shading doesn't show up either. My photographer washed out the scrollwork to a certain extent, and transfering the pics to the net has washed it out even more! (apparently, as I know next to nothing about photography!)

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Ed for explaining. I didn't know about the history later than 1800's, or before that. I will have to read some of my books again to find out about the history of engraving and its purpose.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors