1775 Currency Plate

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think some of you will find this interesting. The attached picture is a cropped and mirrored image of a currence plate that was engraved by John Ward Gilman,June 20, 1775 and is up for auction at Heritage Auctions. The link below will take you to the auction where you can see the entire plate in very large size.
http://currency.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=3511&Lot_No=12222&LotIdNo=143001&ts=off#Photo

Before you get your hopes up, the starting bid is $25,000.00 USD for this historic plate.

Enjoy, RB

Attachments

• New Hampshire currency.jpg
    New Hampshire currency.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
It is strange to me to think that way back when an engraver would make the plate, then eventually git paid with money of his own design, Humm...... seems counter productive :just kidding:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wonder if the buyer could use the plate to make replica bills as long as they were so marked in some way? The bills would not be legal tender and the paper of the originals probably could not be duplicated. I'm sure some currency collectors would like having a replica printed from the actual plate.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger, that was just delightful to look at. not only the engraving, but the way the words were spelled. so cool. thanks for showing this.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
I believe the paper can be made today as most anything can be duplicated if one wants to take the time to learn how to do it. It is a wonderful piece of history and work. Gives me more ideas as if I need any at this point. Thanks for posting.
Mark

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
The vast majority of colonial paper money was printed on hemp paper, so your local head shop should be able to hook you up.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Roger,

Extremely interesting printing plate, specially for it is not in reverse (mirror image). Did they have to use another soft plate to carry the ink? Seemingly it was not a currency, but a bond, issued by NH in those days. It earned an annual 6% on the day of maturity, as long as the possessor held it. Most likely the earning was tax free...

Greetings - Ivan

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ivan,

The plate was cut in reverse as usual. I mirrored it in Photoshop for ease of viewing. I think it actually was a bond. They had one of those engraved by Paul Revere on Pawn Stars last night,

Scott,

I have a feeling that three pounds was good money in colonial times. Wasn't it worth the equivelent of 3 pounds of silver back then?

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors