Question: About names, nicknames and avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Well there;s no denying that Arnaud makes things much less boring.:yes In four hours there have been 39 replies and 514 views. Is that a record? I think he should get a ruby next to his diamond. Just think where we would be if he always followed the rules.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
arnaud,My nick name back in the 1950's was the torch,I cut up cars in a junk yard after school. You have to much stress in your life,take a vacation. J.J.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Chris,
Don't they do that kind of thing on Facebook.....
"It's favorite childhood cartoon week, change your profile pic to your favorite childhood cartoon.....blah, blah, blah!"
:)

I've never been on Facebook Jane .... ain't that the part of the Internet where the gubbermint compiles psychological profiles on people to put them on a no-fly list and then send the thought police in the black ninja turtle outfits to your house at 5am to shoot your dog with an MP5 so your neighbors don't hear nothin'? Then your neighbors go on the news saying: "He was such a quiet, nice man." LOL!!!!

You know it's never too late to have a happy childhood and I'm not sure who is exactly credited with that quote .... Tom Robbins or G Berke Breathed but I'll take the advice of a pulitzer prize winner over the opinions made on any forum, any day ;o)

btw ... Since I'm on the Mad Max thing .... I'll change my avatar to something that really fits ......

Last edited:

hybridfiat

The Nihonto forum (Nihonto Message Board), has a rule that whatever you want to call yourself as a screen name is fine but you must sign your own name to the post. So Im Hybridfiat as a screen name and Steve is my signature. I adopted Hybridfiat because I transplanted a 150BPH turbo Toyota motor and gearbox into a Fiat X1.9. This has become my handle on nearly a dozen forums because it is easy to type.

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
Quick note on my screen-name - I was looking for a name which was not already used when signing up for some of these more popular sites, and wanted to avoid having to pick "Gary+some random number or letters".

Filbertius was the name of one of my Dungeons and Dragons characters back in college. Guess I invented it, because I have yet to run into it already being taken by someone else.

I do try to sign my (real) name to posts, and I have put my unfortunate face as avatar to help other FEGA attendees figure out who I am... (a couple of whom asked me just what in the heck is a filbertius?)

Gary (almost forgot to sign....)

mrthe

In my case in the real life a lot of my friend call me with my nick :) (or simply mr) and not with my real name ,i think that is not a problem in others forums i have the same nick and my friends call me With my real name ,Paolo.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it were not for the anonymousness I probably would have never initially signed up, but I am also a paranoid "government is gonna get me" kind of guy.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Well Arnaud, you do help make this forum veeerrrrrry interesting.
:tiphat:

The artist formerly known as Stewart :banana:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Hoi Arnaud, you made a very good point there:thumbs up: Me too, I don't like it when viewing some forum members albums, and there is no real name/family name, and even worse; no country/state or province:mad:!!! OK, I understand why the most of us keep the full address hidden and only show country of origin or state, that 's enough detail on a public forum. It 's nice to see a photo of the member/colleague engraver who you're talking too (sorry, I know I recently changed my photo for one of my 'grotesque' sculptures, only to have some variation).I 'm always glad to know from where they are, that makes it easier, more imaginable how 'worldwide' this forum community really is:) Greetings, Paulie (real name: Paul Holbrecht) :beerchug:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Just had to post this:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@ J.Cantrel, I don’t have a problem with a nickname when one has his real name in his signature, at least then I know to who I’m talking to.
One could also have his real name and then a nickname in his/here signature.

Let me give an example that is quite actual for me at the moment. After being robbed in my old shop, the police told me that having a billboard on my façade telling “Arnaud, exclusive diamond jewels” isn’t smart, as thieves also can read.
So I told them: okay, next time I will put Arnaud’s bakery store.
Perhaps it could be good publicity by doing that, but it is quite stupid doing that because there will probably be more customers, but they won’t buy.

@DakotaDocMartin, Martin, thanks for clearing this out. I already had no problem with your nickname as I thought it was your real name. That because Martin is just a real name.
And yours is quite similar to mine I sometimes use like Arnaud from Essen. Essen is the small town I line in. My real name “Van Tilburgh” is another city in the Netherlands.

Viljo that is a good one

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, we don’t all have to agree on everything, but after reading your reply the conclusion is that most people prefer talking to real names, whether it is in your name or signature.

And as it never was my best skill remembering names, nicknames are even harder to remember. Yes Mickey Mousse is not really a nickname, only when one uses it other than Mickey Mousse himself.

For the same reason URL’s have names, as in fact they are numbers. But no one could remember them as they don’t make sense storing them in our brain.
Imagine if we would use the auto numbering system to identify ourself when signing in for a forum account, it would be even harder talking to each other.

A name and face still is the best option in my opinion, and yes perhaps a young woman could receive more attention than others, but there I think it is common sense that should solve that problem.

Anyway, thanks for participating, arnaud

Last edited:

Jeroen

I'm with Arnaud when he says it's not nice talking/writing to someone who calls him/herself Mickey Mouse, knowing there's 'another person' behind that name: another person, another identity, another purpose...? Receiving a message from a weird nickname or email-adress may make you not anwer it. That's why we ask our students to mail us from their student-account and not from an adress such as 'angèle69@hotmail.com'...
Or some years ago, searching the web for information on my old Ford Fairmont, I came on a guy who discribed himself as 24 and appeared to be a boy aged 12. He initially could give me a little information, but soon appeared a pain in the...
So on one hand, I'm in favour of using your own name.

On the other hand, a little later, I got messages, mails... that appeared quite promissing, untill I found out some of my students were having fun, replying on my topics, after a while giving stupid answers and so on, and it was all on a forum that had nothing to do with school...

So to keep my profession and my private life apart, I also started using nicknames on the web. It's only on engraving sites I use my own name, without last name.
So I guess there's a difference:
1. we don't have that use of nicknames that replace the name of birth completely over here in Belgium-Europe (anymore)
2. for some people there's the difference between private and public live, a comfort needed for some
3. there's a difference between such a nickname and "a name to hide your identity with bad intentions"
4. for some it's good to be on the web, for some it isn't

So I guess it's up to the common sense wether and how and to whom you use your own name or a nickname. People with bad intentions should simply be ignored, problem is they usually cause much trouble before one is aware of their bad intentions...

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since this thread is about "grievances", I agree that it is preferable to know the name of the person that you are communicating with.

Nicknames are fine for an ID, and an avatar of whatever suits you, is also fine. It is simple to put your real name in your signature line. Then it is no issue, not having the ability to change your ID from a nickname to your actual name.

NOW MY GRIEVANCE...... I had THOUGHT "the spirit" of this forum was to share the love of engraving, to show and discuss work, and to share techniques. However, LATELY there are those that have been CONTINUALLY using the form to promote business for PERSONAL PROFIT, and instead of sharing pictures of work completed, techniques, etc., they are turning the forum into NEVER ENDING PERSONAL CLASSIFIED ads.:(

I find that FAR MORE objectionable than nicknames!

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
My "handle" is "Crazy Horse." On some forums I use "Crazy Horse RVN."
"Crazy Horse" was the radio call sign of my 7th Cavalry combat company in Vietnam, The RVN stands for Republic of Viet nam.

That little ornament in the middle of the 1st Cavalry patch is a Combat Medic Badge. Obviously my job in the army was Combat Medic for my outfit. (RVN 68/69)

I have a photo of myself in my profile but my real name does not appear there. Sometimes I sign off with "Garry Owen" which is the 7th Cavalry's signature much like "Semper Fi" is to the U.S. Marines. People often think it's my real name. My real name is John Towarnicki. I'll try to remember to put my name at the bottom of my posts in the future. (John T.)

Also, I've never heard anyone call an officer by their nick name. We refered to our Captain (Company Commander) as "6" and our platoon commanders would be something like "3/6' which would denote the 3rd platoon leader. 1/6 would be First platoon and so on. There were some officers I served under who I never knew their real names. I only knew them as 3/6, 2/6 etc. But we never refered to our officers by their nick names which I could never repeat on this forum. :~)

I've never been banned on any engraver's forum, but have been banned on a few hunting forums. Although Sam did give me a warning once because I refered to an over embelished pistol in multi colors (Pink) as something only a person of multiple gender and who marketed women would own. ;~)

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

John T.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you John Towarnicki for the explanation about you nickname and name. I must say I never thought about Vietnam when reading Crazy Horse.
To me it is something similar like Howling Wolf and Brown Foot. Some kind of native American name.

arnaud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors