Acanthus leaves

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I found a nice book recently: The Acanthus Leaf, applied to the Various Styles. It was published in 1903 in New York, with 20 photos of original clay models representing a wide range of architectural periods and styles. The models were done by Herm. Lindenberg.

The quality is wonderful, so I thought the images might be helpful. I've scanned four of them, I'll try to scan others when I can steal the time. Here's the first batch.

Attachments

• Acanthus-plate1.jpg
    Acanthus-plate1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 731
  • Acanthus-plate2-greek.jpg
    Acanthus-plate2-greek.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 575
  • Acanthus-plate3-corinthian.jpg
    Acanthus-plate3-corinthian.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Acanthus-plate4-byzantine.jpg
    Acanthus-plate4-byzantine.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 587

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for posting this, I really get into this type of thing. That other post about the stone carving just blew me away.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Gargoyle
I do a little wood carving and stone cutting nothing to your skill level but is keeps me busy along with trying to engrave. Once in Austria a watched a stone cutter flute a column in front of a bank all by hand with mallet and chisel. amazing work keep it up

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Those are fantastic. My favorite is the first one. Whenever I see this type of work, either in stone, bronze, or engraved, I grab a few photos if possible. I rarely see anything of this quality though. This is great reference for anyone doing sculpted acanthus leaf design.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, I am new here. A friend of mine sent me the link to these photos. I like the look of this forum so I signed up. I do a little engraving, and this forum looks like a great resource.

I really like the first image. I can see this in either wood or metal. Do you have these images in a larger format? Not being familiar with this site yet, I am not sure how or if I can blow the images up.

Tom

Gargoyle

Do you have these images in a larger format? Not being familiar with this site yet, I am not sure how or if I can blow the images up.
Tom, just click the thumbnail and a larger one will come up.

I've decided to scan all 20 and post them, a few at a time. This batch might not be as useful for engravers, but hang on... I'm doing them in sequence. Just wait till I get to the Renaissance and Florentine images!

Note the development through these three Moorish acanthus leaves- the core form and movement remains as they get more embellished.

Attachments

• Acanthus-plate5-Gothic.jpg
    Acanthus-plate5-Gothic.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 482
  • Acanthus-plate6-Moorish1.jpg
    Acanthus-plate6-Moorish1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 438
  • Acanthus-plate7-Moorish2.jpg
    Acanthus-plate7-Moorish2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Acanthus-plate8-Moorish3.jpg
    Acanthus-plate8-Moorish3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 464

Steece

Gargoyle,

Any clue as to where I could dig for a copy of this book?? There doesn't seem to be a copy on the open market.

Steece

Gargoyle

Go to WorldCat, they list 24 libraries around the US which have copies. You won't get to buy it, but at least you can see the original. It's a pretty large format, 10 x 13".

UNC in Columbia, SC has a copy, and there are several in NC, so one of those might be close to you.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Walter: I've added your posts to the Tips archive. Many thanks! This is GREAT stuff. / ~Sam

Keone

I received my book "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" and I am having fun reading it trying to understand and see all differences and however I am understanding most basic parts shading is something I do not see right away. It Probably takes time.

But these pictures that are posted here really help as these show me the real shadings which makes it easier to draw for me.

Is it strange that me as a beginner is making pictures from plants and leaves all around the house and garden to get a better understanding of shadings? Or should I just keep on doing to practices from Mr. Smith his book?

Danny

Gargoyle

Here are the next four plates, English Gothic, Florentine, and Italian and German Renaissance style acanthus leaves.

Attachments

• Acanthus-plate9-English_Gothic.jpg
    Acanthus-plate9-English_Gothic.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Acanthus-plate10-Florentine.jpg
    Acanthus-plate10-Florentine.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 207
  • Acanthus-plate11-Renaissance_Italian.jpg
    Acanthus-plate11-Renaissance_Italian.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Acanthus-plate12-Renaissance_German.jpg
    Acanthus-plate12-Renaissance_German.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 217

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Gargoyle, Thanks for posting these. I don't know what's wrong, but the one I want, the very first one, kicks me to the Admin page. The others blow up just fine.

irony.

Gargoyle

Tom, possibly the first time you tried to view the first one you weren't logged in; now your browser has cached that link, and brings it up when you click the thumbnail. Close down your browser completely and then log in again and try. If that doesn't work, reboot the computer and try again.

Sam

Staff member
Walter: These just keep getting better! This is wonderful study for sculpted work. I will keep adding them to the Tips archive for future reference. Thanks for your contributions. / ~Sam

Jude

These are wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to post. Thanks Sam for adding them to the tips archive, I'm sure they'll be refered to quite a bit.
Jude

Latest posts

Sponsors