FEGA 2016 Show

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wahooooo....Sam and Abigail are coming. I won't miss you this time.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This year, our show fell on the heels of the S.H.O.T. show. (don't know if that happens every year, but it did this year)
I ran into a few old friends that have enough money to buy private jets, so it is the place to be seen.
Now that Sam and Abigail are coming, I might restring my gitfiddle and see if I can remember some chord progressions.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One important aspect of our show being with the Beinfeld show is the opportunity for the attendees to see hundreds of engraved guns and knives (both antique and modern) on display outside of the FEGA area. I saw genuine Nimschke engraved Colts and Winchesters as well as a percussion shotgun by Boutet of Versailles. I have examined guns engraved by Kornbrath, Griebel, Gustave Young, Fracassi, Galeazzi, Pedretti, and on and on. Usually all you have to do is ask nicely and you can handle these pieces and look at the engraving with a loupe.

Many folks on this forum try to do bulino engraving without having ever seen an actual piece by one of the Italian masters. At the Antique Arms show you can see several Italian master works as well as the ones done by FEGA members. You can see a few modern master works at the Dallas SCI but you have to remember that SCI is primarily a hunting exhibition, not a gun collectors show.

In all of the museums I have visited around the world, I have never seen as many fine engraved guns in one place as at the Beinfeld show and then I had to look at the pieces behind glass in the museums. When I started engraving in the 1970s I attended the Beinfeld shows before FEGA existed because that was where I could see, first hand, the kind of engraving I aspired to. It was also where I met the late Wally Beinfeld, who published my first book, as well as people who became clients that I would have never met otherwise.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I attend this type of show Roger I carry a pair of white cotton gloves plainly in sight so it is clear I understand what that gun or knife mean to the owner. I also never mount the weapon as if I want to test the feel from the firing position. I want them to understand that it is the craftsmanship that interests me. I have seen the people who asked before and after me turned down on several occasions. Fred

Andrew Biggs

No, still no word yet. It is close but as you can imagine it is quite an exercise for everyone involved. :)

Rest assured that as soon as we have everything in place.........it will be posted here and on the FEGA forum and web site. Plus you will get e-mail notification plus something in the mail.
Cheers
Andrew

roland6250

Change is good and maybe it's time for a change of venue and crowd. The Great Outdoor Show will be held Feb 6-14, 2016 in Harrisburg PA. This is the largest outdoor sport show I have ever seen and it's all indoors. It took me over 4 hours to walk through this year and it only get bigger and bigger. It's like SIMA but for outdoor sports that thousands walk through each day. I realize this is the Firearms Engravers Guild of America convention but this show is heavily tied to the NRA and for gun enthusiast this is the east coast show to attend each year. For my 2 cents it's worth considering.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Change is good and maybe it's time for a change of venue and crowd. The Great Outdoor Show will be held Feb 6-14, 2016 in Harrisburg PA. This is the largest outdoor sport show I have ever seen and it's all indoors. It took me over 4 hours to walk through this year and it only get bigger and bigger. It's like SIMA but for outdoor sports that thousands walk through each day. I realize this is the Firearms Engravers Guild of America convention but this show is heavily tied to the NRA and for gun enthusiast this is the east coast show to attend each year. For my 2 cents it's worth considering.

Roland,

Please read post #10 and #46 of this thread.

Thanks,

RB

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I dont know the staus of the new show plans but our biliard chapionships have been moved to ballys. Very similar set up but nicer. Also one the assn went to the rio.

roland6250

Roger,

I read every thread before posting. I also waited a long time before joining the FEGA because I do not like joining groups unless I feel I can contribute and will be taken seriously. It took a Senior Member / Master engraver's urging. His comment was "this group needs all the new members it can get or it and the art will die". If it had not been for this Master engraver taking the time to display at a non engraver's event I would never have met him and would not have the Friend / Mentor / Teacher I now have.

I hope I was not wrong in joining the FEGA and that the BOD is open to suggestions.

Andrew Biggs

I hope I was not wrong in joining the FEGA and that the BOD is open to suggestions.

Hi Roland

No, you are not wrong to join FEGA. You will get a lot from it, especially if you come to the show and network with fellow engravers. Novice or Master, it doesn't matter. We are all on the same path.

The location of Las Vegas and joining the Beinfeld show is set. The reasons for this have been well aired and thought about by the members and the BOD. The closing of the Riviera is just a hiccup and nothing more. Soon we will have the new hotel location in Vegas along with the dates. Then it is full steam ahead organising next years show. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors