The ultimate chair? Maybe.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One of our favorite local stores is a consignment store that often has great furniture at really low prices. Last week Abigail and I were browsing the store and I spotted an odd high-tech looking office chair. I plopped down into the chair and quickly realized this was no ordinary chair. The suspension system was smooth and comfortable, and the chair had a variety of adjustments including lumbar support. So there I was, sitting in this chair soaking up all the comfort when Abigail walked up. I said "I'm getting this chair". She said "how much is it?" I then checked the price tag and got a bit of sticker shock. $140 for a USED chair?? That seemed crazy, especially for this store which was known for its good deals, but I knew I had to have this chair because I'd never sat in anything so comfortable. I whipped out my iPhone and did a quick Google search for HERMAN MILLER CHAIR and discovered the $140 price was a pretty good deal after all. The price for this particular model starts at $949!

I'm now the proud owner of this fancy schmancy chair and I'm loving it. I guess I'm now a chair snob.

M

mcrapo

Sam

That was a great deal for that chair. I know how great that chair feels, and how much they cost new. If I found one for that much, I would jump on it to.

Mike

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Man, this is weird! I was just about to sneak out of the office and go to Office Depot to find a new chair for my engraving bench! I've been using an ancient all wood office chair like the ones in the 1930's style newsrooms, that I bought from a thrift store 40 years ago! I've since padded it with an old pillow and a "beanbag" type back support, but my aging back and butt are now in need of something better. Some chairs work if you can lean back into the backrest, but when I use the microscope I'm sitting more upright and leaning slightly forward. I don't know if there is an ideal chair for this position. I'm sure $950.00 is not going to be the price I'm willing to spend, but maybe some others out there have a favorite chair they'd suggest.

Mark

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
They come from near your old birthplace, Zeeland Michigan. They have been a high end office furniture company for years.

Sam

Staff member
Doc: Here's the best engraving chair I've ever used. Give it a try and see how you like it. I love mine. My new snob chair is being used at my computer at the present time. The seat is rather large and it hits the support post under my vise shelf, so until I switch to one of those nifty drill press stands, I need a chair with a shorter (front-to-back) seat. The one in the link above is really comfortable and has plenty of adjustments. If you go to Office Depot give it a try and report back. / Sam

Abigail

Administrator
When I found him in the consignment store, he was plopped down in that chair with his eyes glazed over and his jaw hanging down. It was a pitiful site. I could barely understand the murmur that came out of his mouth...."I'm getting this chair".
Then, when he found out how much these things cost brand new, he had a personality change. He's
been acting so hoity toity since he got that chair that he is a little difficult to be around. I AM looking for the eject button....well, as long as he lands in my arms. ;)
Cheers,
Abigail

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Yes, the Herman Miller Aeron chair is good, but the list price is steep. You got a good deal. There used to be a lot of them on the used market after the dotcom bust, since they were very popular with those venture capitalized tech startups.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's all so so, but does she allow you to drink beer in the chair ? do you have to take off your shoes ?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam..that chair looks awfully familiar...I think Dick Sheehan purchased the same chair at Costco...you got the better deal.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Abigail your chair would be a great canvas for an engraving project. Do you know any GREAT engravers??

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I acted upon a recommendation a while back and bought a "task" chair to replace the adjustable height stool I had been using. While I am sure it does not compare to Sam's find, it does make a huge difference having the suspension and adjustments.

Peter

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Well, I went to Office Depot last night to find the chair you recommended and found that they do not have it in the store anymore, but that you can still order it on line. I didn't want to buy a chair that I hadn't tried, so I sat in every chair in the store, multiple times! The sales staff probably thought I was nuts. Anyway, I found a chair that was fully adjustable, including the sliding seat function which is important for "vertically challenged" people like me. It was called the "Maverick" and the price had dropped from $200 to $150. Not bad, I thought, until I saw the same chairin grey fabric for $59.00! The salesperson said they were trying to get rid of the grey ones. Well, at that price, I couldn't say no. Even though I may have to modify the chair cushion eventually, it is still a great deal. It is remarkably solid and does let me sit upright at the microscope and still have lumbar support. If I do this correctly, the link is http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do...cutive Chairs Black 363381&id=363381&level=SK

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I believe the sale is to continue until the 13th of Oct.

Mark

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Abby,
In Alabama my Greatgrand Ma had a porcelin bowl next to her bed and so did my Grand Ma, Grand Pa just went outside all the way to the outhouse for #2 but off the porch for #1. They did have a top to cover the Chamber Pan, but this looks more like one the people in Missippippi and Lousinia would use for a chamber Pan...and not empty everyday...
Love Ya'll
Jerry

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Knee-sit chair

I prefer to use the knee-sit chair for engraving with memory foam. It forces me to keep my back straighter,
posture is important to lessen back fatigue from the slouch mode of a bad chair. In the knee-sit chair the quadriceps are in a more active position eliminating leg fatigue from the passive position.

Sam

Staff member
I prefer to use the knee-sit chair for engraving with memory foam. It forces me to keep my back straighter,
posture is important to lessen back fatigue from the slouch mode of a bad chair. In the knee-sit chair the quadriceps are in a more active position eliminating leg fatigue from the passive position.

Can you show us a picture of that?
thanks,
Abigail

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
knee-sit chair

Here's the website. Scroll down until you see the picture. If you shop around on the internet you should be able to get a better price. It's very easy to assemble. You'll be amazed how comfortable it is. I hate conventional chairs. They are too passive. This chair engages your quads and uses those muscles to support you and at the same time stretches the leg muscles so you don't get so stiff, keeps the back staight and prevents you from slouching.

Ergonomic Office Chair with Tempur® material or New Softer ...We stock Chairs with Tempur® material and Memory Foam Gel for immediate shipment! ... Simple and popular; Helps you to sit up straight; Black nylon castors ...
www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/Tempur-chair.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

Attachments

• knee-wood.jpg
    knee-wood.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
does that cause pain in your shins, and is there a way to adjust the heiht of this knee type chair ?

Latest posts

Sponsors