2 handpieces die in 3 days

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
My brand new maestro ex died Friday night my 901 died tonight. I have work coming out my... And can't engrave anything...

Hope GRS can get me up in running fast!

Anyone have any GRS equipment you'd like to sell or rent?

I'm dead in the water!!!

Get out the hammer & chisel

michael

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I don't want to beat the issue to death, but something came to mind after my post and when someone said about the piston installed 'backwards'. Used to be, at one time and I don't know if the technique still is in use, but race car builders used to taper the piston bore slightly so that the piston would be tighter at the top of the stroke than at the bottom. The theory was a better 'seal' at that point. If you could obtain the engineering drawings of the handpiece, which is doubtful they'd release those, this would answer that question. Perhaps the design of that handpiece incorporates a tighter seal of the piston on the forward or backward(?) stroke. As I don't have a handpiece, I couldn't measure such. But, that's a problem that the maker should solve. Those handpieces aren't free, and you shouldn't have a problem at all. Keep us posted.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We believe its contamination. Items scheduled to gross out a GRS technician before noon central time today.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Filter Train by Doc only $999.
I've got one but mine only has 6 filters in it. Still didn't work. Water built up into the hose until it reached a level that the air pushed the whole slug into the 4th filter and I'm sure it got into the last 2 as well.

I quit using it and bought a small oiless compressor, but the GMax never worked right after the above. Probably got the same problem as yours does. I bought a new 901 but things only improved slightly.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gotta love GRS. Josh and Shane Rock. I overnighted the equipment yesterday. Arrived just before noon today. Just got the message it's already been picked up by FedEx for overnight delivery to me tomorrow. That is what I call top shelf customer service. DJ you have some great people working for you.

I'll update with what was wrong as soon as I find out.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The graver match hoses were clean, but after 3 years if heavy use eith an unmsintained compressor it was dirty. No oil in the internal lines. The maestro mysteriously fixed itself in transit. The 901 had a mushroomed piston. It was replaced with the new heavier model. My monarch had a broken anvil. Wonder if I should engrave softer guns? They cleaned my filthy pedal. So, I believe I'll be ok for another 3 years. Or I can take up maintenance...

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The mushroomed piston was probably due to dropping it during cleaning at some point.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Concrete floors...?

I began with a wood tongue & groove floor, extended the shop with a concrete floor - and within a month I was looking for something to cover it.

The "accident" that made me start looking for something better - cost me around $1,000.

Since then I have always had either wood or linoleum shop floors!

You may have gotten off easy?

Brian

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had the anvil fail several times with the Monarch. I did some Beta testing for GRS and they fixed the pin that held the anvil in place.
These days, I've had a prototype 901 and a prototype Maestro that has run for what seems like centuries.
My old GraverMax (brand new in 1991) and Monarch has a squillion hours on it and still stroking.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe you should get a Magnum Handpiece - it's their one for heavy duty work. Also works great for light duty. I have a Magnum and a Monarch and I feel that between them they overlap the standard 901's power range. The Monarch will go lighter than the 901 but not quite as heavy. The Magnum won't go quite as light as the 901 but goes much heavier.

When I use my GraverMach I normally use whichever handpiece I was using last, unless I need to do some fine shading (Monarch) or deep and heavy cutting (Magnum). For Lindsay users the Magnum is like putting in the Titanium piston.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to buy the magnum and maestro MX next time I take a class. Then I'll have the full set.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Glad to hear that it was, in part, a mushroomed piston, but not glad to hear of that problem in the first. Sometimes, several factors are at work. It's good hear of 'problem resolved', and, fortunately, a staff that was able to take care of the problem. If I ever obtain such handpieces, I'll certainly keep in mind your experiences. The mushroomed piston was why interference was felt. The cracked anvil didn't help, either. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Latest posts

Sponsors