EnSet vs Enset Plus

Arkain

Having never used pneumatic assist before and looking over the options, I'm pretty sold on an Enset.

The real question: Are the features in the Plus model worth the additional cost for someone just entering the pneumatic assist realm? It seems that relief/sculpting work with the Enset, would be where the pro model will shine...but even there, how much more convenient and pleasant is it to use in that fashion.

No one likes to pay less and then kick yourself 6 months later wishing for that extra capability/power. However if its never truly utilized, I'd much rather put the difference into other tools/material.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Anyone 'against' the Enset Pro/standard?

mrthe

i'm a bit confused, why the Pro model will shine for relief/sculpting works more than the standard version?
the Pro model allow you to switch to the option to have constant strokes speed ,but from my point of view is not something better for sculpting or relief work , or i have miss something?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Adjustability on the Plus is a bit easier and more variability as far as I remember from the FEGA Show. Bill Rice was there and uses the original. He did say that he would be upgrading to the Plus when he could. I've used Gravermax for years and I fell in love with the Enset. Very different feel but the adjustability for stroke length and so forth on the Enset is nice.
Layne

Arkain

It seems the Pro has both pulse and pressure modes, allowing the foot pedal to control one or the other while maintaining the inverse. Ie, set the pressure and foot control the speed, or set the speed and foot control the pressure. With the standard, you dial the pressure and foot control the speed. When I'm sculpting, be whatever material, I would prefer to be able to adjust my 'depth'/pressure/hammer on the fly, while having to work with fixed speed is obviously an added fun/challenge. I'm sure that a dual pedal system would be, well, awesome...with an interesting learning curve.

I realize, it would be acceptable to go with the standard operation and work on similar or build up 'pressure'/depths areas with speed/repetition control. Long story short, I can definitely see the use of the plus features, I'm just wondering how they translate in practice, what time they really save, or ability they lend. I have no doubt that the original will do more than I'm capable of...I guess, what I'm polling, what does the Pro 'really' offer? In use..and how do you like it/not. To the extent of worth in upgrade...

mrthe

Layne do you have the plus? for what type of works do you use the option of the constant strokes?

Arkain

Also, I'd like to remind/re-mention that my experience with pneumatic assist is null....and I'm just going on my sculpting/carving background while having read the manual for the Enset/Pro, and watched the videos online. Which is, of course, why I'm here; for your more experienced input! Thanks!

mrthe

i'm just curious, i use the Airgraver that no have the option of continuos fixed speed strokes, jut like a car if you want more power and fast just more pressure with the pedal.
Formthis reason i want to understand the benefits,expecially if we are talking about sculpting, for general engraving i can understand that for some people can be helpfull have a constant speed,but in sculpting?

Arkain

I think that the constant speed would definitely be a challenge to adjust to for sculpting, but might be worth it at the benefit of foot controlled pressure variable. Since I haven't felt the pneumatic assist I have no reference as to the feel of it at any speed. But if it could be learned attribute, the pressure foot control would be awesome, allowing to adjust the amount of push or texture of the material with a tactical control. Where without it, also fine, you would just reach over and turn the knob for those hard hits, and turn down for the lighter/smoother ones. However, that is a whole different working method. Not better or worse, I guess it just how our minds approach the problem, and/or use the tool to solve it. The plus seems to allow you to approach it from a different viewpoint/aesthetic....but again, that is my super green interpretation coming from outside the assisted world. With hammer/graver, you choose everything on the spot with every hit, aka the imaginary 2 pedal option I noted before being a fun one.

So the Airgraver increases speed + striking force with the pedal at the same time? What if you want faster hits but lighter ones? For say smoothing? Or is there a master limiting control for the pedal? I'm only familiar with the Airgraver by name...

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No Paolo, I use the Gravermax. Tira Mitchell had one at the FEGA show and I played with it for a bit. The thing that I noticed was that you could adjust stroke speed down to 1 hit per second easily and also how hard the impact was. Also how long the stroke length was.
Definitely nice.
Layne

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I have the Enset and really wish I would have spent the extra and got the Enset plus. As a beginner I have found that the opinion to have one constant stroke speed setting would be helpful until you gain better control of the foot to hand. Just my opinion

Arkain

The slow hit speed capability with independent impact control was what has sold me on the Enset system overall. Tira Mitchell sent me an email a couple of days ago saying that she'd answer more questions when she returned, so hopefully I'll have more to report after that. Right now, the plus model is backordered until Feb 14th, but there is is plenty of other things to do in the meanwhile, and it will be a healthy assist of restraint, and allow me to gather the mustard to decide, and pay. I'm definitely not looking to rush into a setup without giving the options a fair shake and hearing more from users. Its definitely an investment. Thanks for the replies thus far!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With some practice most things can be done with the basic unit however the plus does make a few applications easier and more consistent, For example when sculpting if a constant speed is held, it is easier to place the taps because the hand get used to moving at a certain speed. It is also nice to be able to increase power by pressing on the pedal and still have the same stroke and hand speed. another application is when either restoring engraving that was hand chased or executing new engraving in a hand chased style. The basic unit will do this if the pedal is held constant but we humans tend to get impatient or excited and press harder making the strokes speed up and soon it doesn't look quite right. Easier to simply dial in the speed and use the pedal to control power.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Arkain,

I am the inventor of the Enset . I personally use only the Enset and not the Plus. I decided to make the plus because I could see some advantages to the pressure mode of the plus. I had to choose whether to make the pulse rate operating system or the pressure system. I decided that the pulse mode did what I intended . I could have made it with two pedals as you stated one that would operate the pulse rate and the other the pressure. But I felt it would be too difficult for people to use.

After making the Enset. I decided that a second model with the option to have both modes would be nice to offer so that a person would have the best of both modes in one unit. The price difference reflects the additional costs of some of the necessary components to enable both modes into one unit.

Lee's assessment is very accurate. I will say that I have been experimenting with the second mode that is the pressure mode in regard to stone setting . There are some advantages there. I am not a scrimshnader but I feel that being able to set a pulse rate for accurate placement of dots would be nice. Then you could push more for added hitting power. One other thing that you can do with the pressure mode is that you can also limit the highest pressure you want. This will allow someone to decide how much hit power they want as well as the pulse rate . Then when you push the pedal it will only give you the power you have set it to give regardless of how far you push the pedal.

All that being said . For myself I have been able to do all that I want with the regular Enset. Once you understand the adjustments of the tool which are almost infinite you can get the results you want easily. I am working on some videos at present that will explain more about how to adjust the tool for different results. They will cover every aspect of engraving , inlay sculpting and stone setting.

Mrthe, I understand why one might like to have the ability to control the speed and hitting power simultaneously, but I agree with you that the variability of the speed is more important.

The models that are out now also have two ports for handpieces. We had a lot of requests for that so that they could set up more than one handpiece for different tasks. If I upgrade to this new model I will use the second port for an air gun for stone setting to blow away the dust and chips. Just hook up a second hose and press the pedal when you need it.

I don't know if this helps or makes it more difficult. Consider this though if you feel the regular Enset will suffice . Then you can use the difference i price to purchase other important tools that you will need.

Chris

mrthe

Thank you Chris just curious , i have just purchase the EnSet standard model and this post give me some doubt if i had make the wrong choice (not buy the plus) because i'm interested in use it expecially for sculpting and textures, i have buy the new filer handpiece too, are you working in some video demostration too of this new feature?

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Mrthe,

As, I stated I use the regular Enset. I do a lot of sculpting and it the tool I use. I only want to give all the information so people are informed. When it comes to sculpting to me being able to vary the pulses is the best because there are time you want to go super slow and then need to go faster all on the same area you are working . Everyone has different preferences on what they like and need .

I will have a short video tomorrow showing sculpting oak leaves that I am doing on a watch dial. I will post a link when it's ready.

Yes I will be making videos for all of the items.

Chris

Arkain

Christian,

Obviously, you're the perfect person to comment on this and did so in a great and honest way, thanks for the information and not just 'upselling' us for some extra money! I'm going to go with the original and use the money for additional supplies/tools/lessons/etc. Thanks again!

Arkain

Just purchased the regular Enset through the site! Thanks again, I'm very excited to get everything up and running!

Chriso

I have a basic enset which i have had since they first come onto the market and being a new machine had a couple of problems i got onto Chris D and these issues were sorted out promptly and then he gave me a couple of hours of his time on skype for lessons and making sure the machine runs properly, I like the duel ports for 2 hand pieces on the new ones so you can run 1 for shading and 1 for general work I am only a beginner and it does every thing i need at this stage and i am more than happy with the service

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
I just received my new Basic Enset and handpiece about 2 weeks ago. Still getting use to it but love it so far.

johnmoto

Hi chris perhaps you could help me I have just purchased a New Enset and I have a problem when I use a flat scorper worse when it is wider , what happens is it keeps spinning around , the ball bearing is not holding it in place it just pops out of its hole and spins around and I am not putting much pressure on it , it is very annoying as I wonted it mostly for channeling ,
Do you have an answer for this problem I would be most grateful.
Regards John

Latest posts

Sponsors