Carved Lee Helgeland Winchester Model 70 458 Magnum by Barry Lee Hands

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It has been a long time since I have done any carved work and I thought you might like to see this.
It is a Lee Helgeland Winchester model 70 open sight express rifle.
Such a well done express, Lee Helgeland did a fabulous job, I am really having a lot of fun with it:

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Barry,

Great looking project! Do you use flats or rotary tool to remove the background?

Donny

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys. Don, I use a narrow flat about .018" or so, and then punch it with a tiny round punch, and do it again a couple times.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Barry very elegant and amazing. I would like to see another picture showing the winchester name cal. And serial number if possible in more detail it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing your gifts.
Van

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry,Nice carving of scrolls on the Winchester,are going to do any big game animals on the rifle? J.J.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Barry,

Got a stupid question for you or anyone else can chime in if you know....what is between your vise and the action? I've seen or used leather and wood....is that lead? If so is that the better choice over leather and wood? Any risk of it marring the surface?

Donny

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Looks like soft lead work great when engaving gun actions your able to hold the action on any angle without any movement.The soft lead jaws well not marr the surface, engravers in Italy use them.J.J.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ...I will have to find some slabs that size and give it a go...I couldddddd melt all my fishing lead weights :) and make a pair!!

Donny

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys, JJ and Donny, it is lead. I use it a lot.
Aside from lead, I hold things between center, and glue stuff to wood with hot glue.
I dont use the grey melty stuff much as it vibrates too easily and makes it difficult to inlay hard metals.
For difficult inlays, overlays and sculpting, you need the work dead solid.
Lead is great.

Latest posts

Sponsors