Peony pendant in shakudo, gold & copper

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Here’s another in the series of this shape of pendant. This one is a Poppy design in 4% Baldwin shakudo(96%copper/4%gold), copper and 22k gold with 18k bezel, cable and bale. The smaller photo shows about life size (35mm) in my browser. The gold and shakudo are joined with 18k hard solder. The copper is inlaid.

poppysmall.jpg poppylarge.jpg

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful piece, looks destined to be a sales success as well. Can you tell me where one can obtain Baldwin shakudo. I know that alloy can be problematic to make in small batches with brittleness and all.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The ever-amazing Kelso does it AGAIN!

Awesome work...and....deceptively simple,

Thanks for sharing,

Weldon

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
elegance disguised as simplicity ! your work is always a joy for me to look at. whomever ends up wearing this, indeed has a work to be proud of.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jim, your work is always a pleasure to see. Very inspiring and tastefully done. Bravo!!!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, I adore your work. This is absolutely beautiful. Can you please excuse my ignorance; the black metal is iron or steel I take it? how do you join this to the gold so perfectly or is the gold an inlay?

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks very much Marcus! The black metal is the Japanese alloy shakudo, in this case 96% copper and 4% gold. It turns black in the traditional Japanese patina described here:

http://www.jimkelso.com/japanpatina.html/tutorial.htm

The gold is unaffected by the patina.

The gold and shakudo are both solid through and through, about 17g. I had to work at that seam! I soldered the pieces after very careful fitting, face down, heating with a torch from below. This pulled the 18k solder, which lay on the top(really the back) into the seam. There were a couple of minute gaps, nonetheless, and I punched the gaps closed, having left the gold a little proud just for that reason. All trued up with stones. The copper is inlayed mechanically, held by the surrounding shakudo.

One photo shows the piece before final polishing where you can discern the solder joint, mostly down low in the gold.

The polish was silicon carbide powder followed by charcoal powder, both in horsehair brushes and water. Even the fine charcoal leaves a very fine pattern of omni-directional micro scratches. The patina on the shakudo largely obliterates the visual pattern but the gold is unaffected by the patina and thus a fine matte pattern remains on it. I prefer it to a glaring high polish as it seems to show the engraving better.

The dark patina contrasting with the gold, plus the polish makes the joint disappear as seen in the other photo, magnified 10 times or so.
unpatina.jpg magnify.jpg

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jim for explaining the different steps. The close up indeed shows better the texture made by the way you “polished” it.
I also use brushes powder and water, but mine are from goat hair, never heard of horsehair brushes.

I already wrote about that one “scratch” Am I right it is the Japanese way to add an imperfection to make it perfect?

arnaud

mrthe

thank you Jim this thread is everytime more interesting and i'm going to learn a lot from this, one question , shakudo only is copper more gold? i have read time ago that was make with silver too, sorry for asking but i'm a jewelery maker and is veryinteresting for me know more about that.
thank you another time

Latest posts

Sponsors