Font for 3 Letter Monograms

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone have a particular font they use for 3 letter script monograms? I have 6 sets of monograms to do on the end caps of flashlights and would rather print/transfer than draw them.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tira: Check out the Snell Bold BT at this site. Some of the letters are great, and some not quite as attractive. I've used this font in my classes for a few years now. Lends itself very well to stippling. It's a free download. / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the web sites. :) Sam I downloaded the Snell Bold BT. It would be good to stipple, but I'm not in love with how the letters fit together in a monogram. I think I have to find a more upright font. I should probably just draw the letters, but the flashlights are anodized aluminum so I don't want to score or knick anything I don't have to.

GeorgeKhayata

Tira,
With interlocking script you have to put your artistic hand into work:)
it's not going to be good to fit three letters together properly to do a nice monogram, If you're going to engrave the same letters on all the peices, you can draw one and use bee wax to transfer to the others.
I'll be glad to draw it and fax it to you, or I can fax you a sheet with many interlocking script monograms, this might help you I guess.
George

Sam

Staff member
George is right, interlocking monograms must be drawn. I've never seen a computer font where the letters interlock like I like them. The engraving shops in malls have some sort of interlocking font used in machine engraving, but even that is pretty weak from what I've seen.

The International Cyclopedia of Monograms is a good source for interlocking letters. I believe it's out of print, though. / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yup, it's out of print. I tried to buy it at GRS when I was there for class last month. Amazon lists it as unavailable also. I guess I better sharpen my pencil and get started.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, I'm sure you do(have it) but in case you dont, J.M. Berglings book of alphabets & monograms is phenomenal. LOTS of different script and you name in there.
Kent

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,
do you have a fax? I can fax you one of my class handouts that has all the letters of the alphabet in all 3 positions in a circular monogram.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Scott,
Can you do a thumbnail or equivelant of your hand out? I'm doing an oval with three letters.Thanks, Glenn

Sam

Staff member
Scott: It'd be easier if we could just send the items to you, have you lay them out and ship them back. Heck, you might as well engrave 'em too since you have them there. :D / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I've spent all afternoon trying to draw a script monogram of KAH in an oval. Right now I am willing to copy and duplicate any one that I could find. This is too frustrating. No matter what I try it come out looking like a two legged spider has been crawling through mud.:eek: :eek:

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
I've spent all afternoon trying to draw a script monogram of KAH in an oval. Right now I am willing to copy and duplicate any one that I could find. This is too frustrating. No matter what I try it come out looking like a two legged spider has been crawling through mud.:eek: :eek:

I found this thread and thought I'd revive it.

FYI
I found that Microsoft Picture It lets you interlock letters, as well as stretching them vertically and horizontilly in the add text mode. You just have to do one letter at a time and than drag them or manipulate them any way you want.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Young Tira,
So you don't scratch the aluminum use a hard 9H pencil like our host.
Instead of just transfer wax, use it as usual but take a fluffy loose bristled makeup brush and dip it into a little tin (altoids can or something) with baby powder in it and hold it over the waxed surface and tap a little on it.

Brush it lightly if needed to distribute it evenly and thinly and blow the rest off. You can see real well when you write on it especially on a black maglight.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tira: i have a full pantograph set of what i call "vertical script". i cut this template set years ago. it's mindful of the script one sees in the mall engraving shops (ugh). but the saving grace, once it's laid out by the pantograph, the hand engraving can add a bit of life to it. now with the computer i whip out quickie monos of most any font i want, convert it to a .plt file or print out on paper. it's quicker than it sounds. if you want i'll send you a j-peg of what the font looks like. if you like it, i guess i could figure a way to scan/print/fiddle with or make the font appear in your computer. i also cut a round block mono set and a "diamond" block mono set. all with 3 letter positions. monk45@verizon.net

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tira: forgive my lack of gray matter. if you have access to a pantograph, i'll mail you these template sets. you could borrow them for as long as needed to create your own copies of them. this would pose no problem for me as i rarely ever use these templates any more. i usually create a mono in corel draw, convert it to a .plt file , and can then use it to create a template for the pantograph in my computerized engraving machine. i can also send these files to the laser machine depending on what my customer is looking for.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim and Monk,

Thanks for the additiional ideas. This post was from a project I had in December that had to go out. I finished the flashlights and posted a picture in another thread.

The problem I was actually having involved the drawing of the 3 letter monogram and not the transfer of it, but I like both of your ideas about that. :) I used the transfer magic solution and my printer to transfer once I came to a final decision about the artwork.

Thanks again for the help.

mgdesigns

Try Harold's Fonts. He has a disk available that has the digitized versions of the monogram fonts used by the New Hermes Pantograph engravers. Try this link http://www.haroldsfonts.com/monogram-collection.html

I have been wanting to get this disk, but haven't gotten 'round-tuit yet. A machine engraving shop here in Franklin, TN has the disk, and he uses it for computerized engraving to look like the old pantograph styles. Says it works fine, but he had to translate to g-codes for his machines.

Latest posts

Sponsors