XD slide idea?

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I was given this slide by a friend it's fubar but perfect for engraving practice. I have been wondering what to do with it since Springfield was so kind to hog up all the prime real estate.

I thought about this..

I know it's not perfect but can you see what I'm aiming for? Thoughts, comments, good bad ugly..

O an I thought about tinting my damar varnish white some white paint to add a little contrast for my transfers. Anyone tried that?

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Design scrolls all over it and weave some tendrils through the lettering and see what you come up with. Don't be in a hurry to cut anything, just draw, draw, draw until you end up with something you really like, from any angle.

Andrew Biggs

What is it you want a comments and thoughts on? The scrolls or the slide??

The slide looks great and I would suggest that seeing it's just for practice, don't try to file out the manufacturers marks.

The scrolls.......well, take heed of what Tim (above) has said :)

Cheers
Andrew

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I use white machinist layout fluid, then damar. Works great for old tired eyes. I think Tom White has a white mix. Just Google "Tom White's Transfer Solution".
Jeff

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I test cut a Springfield XD on the inside and it was OK then I started on the outside of the slide and it was diamond hard. I could not get an eighth of an inch before the tip of a carbalt graver broke.

As to your design: All good scrollwork begins with perfect spirals. Start over.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the others have it right - use it for a design piece but don't bother trying to actually cut on it. Working your design on a real part will help you with all of the things that only come up on real parts with real things you have to work around (like manufacturer's marks).

Cutting through a vacuum deposited ceramic (which I think is what that slide is coated in) would make for a very non-fun day, as Roger found out.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for the heads up on the coating. I was gifted four 1911 slides today so looks like im going to have alot of "practice plates" I know they will be more fun to cut than this XD slide

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I would be interested to see how well you can cut it. I am presently doing an Kimber 1911 stainless steel slide and the hardness is not consistence. One area is hard then all of a sudden soft. I have to go very slowly as so my chisel doesn't get ahead of me.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would be interested to see how well you can cut it, too
thanks

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it can be cut, don't let the Springfield writing bother you. It is not for use on a gun, so cut the letters off with a carbide flycutter on a mill, or sand them down till they are gone, and engrave everything! (BTW, as long as the gun is not a NFA item, the only marking you have to keep is the serial number!)

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had the same experience as Roger. Now the slide I have is the black finish and it is far too tough to cut. I don't know about the stainless version of it. If it is anything like mine, it'll snap a graver tip like it's glass.
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors